1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4 Strings Good, Nov 27, 2018.

1. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    I've been playing my Fender Jazz with rosewood board and nylon tapewounds quite a bit lately, and have really been enjoying it. I've played Precisions since I started on bass and the JB is a different animal entirely. Been thinking about getting one with a maple fretboard and, after considering all the options, decided the Geddy Lee signature model was what I'm after. I found a great deal ($508) on a MIM model on eBay and pulled the trigger, breaking the cardinal rule of not trying before buying.

It arrived in immaculate shape and ready to go: I tweaked the set-up only minimally, replaced the standard white guard with a pearly one, and swapped out the Roto rounds with TI Jazz flats. It sounds fantastic and is a joy to play. I know folks are sometimes disparaging of MIM models compared to their MIJ/CIJ and USA counterparts but I own Japanese and American Fender basses and my Mexican ones hold their own against them. This bass is no exception. As our friend @saabfender aptly put it recently, "the presumed inherent superiority of American instruments is not obvious to me."

I should probably add that while I'm impressed with Geddy Lee's chops (as well as his ability to sing while playing) I'm not a Rush fan. I don't own or listen to anything by the band. I'm definitely not trying to emulate Geddy's sound. But I LOVE the pickups, the feel of the bound neck and the badass bridge on this bass. And it's classy looking--like playing a tuxedo. I wish there was a way to get the signature off the back of the headstock without messing up the finish but I'll get used to it.

First gig with it is tonight!

IMG_5874. IMG_5875. IMG_5876. IMG_5877. IMG_5878.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    andruca, Fetzu, saabfender and 7 others like this.
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    To be fair, the only person who'll ever see the signature is you and whoever tries to goose you during a particularly tricky passage.

LinusKarlsson and 4 Strings Good like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

with or without the signature = it's a cool looking ax! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

4 Strings Good likes this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Essentially a NDB then. Mazel.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I’m not really a Rush fan either, but I really do like that bass.
    In all honesty, it is basically a 76(?) Jazz Bass, right?

6. Any bass you like for a price that's right = winner. Congratulations on a great score! And if you don't like the signature, get a piece gaffers tape, put it right over the signature and sign it yourself. Once again, winner.

7. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Modeled after a '72.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Thanks...I wasn’t sure and didn’t feel like researching...;)

9. MrWolf14

MrWolf14

Jun 28, 2015
    Munich (Germany)
    Great bass!
    I like Rush but I never felt like "going after" Geddy's sound or technique.
    Still, I believe this is the best Fender passive Jazz money can buy nowadays.
    As simple as that...
    Ciao, DOmenico

10. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    How come?

11. xroads64

xroads64 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2004
    San Antonio
    I have a first year Japanese model for sale in the classifieds

12. MrWolf14

MrWolf14

Jun 28, 2015
    Munich (Germany)
    .... I have a Japanese model that's never gonna leave my herd :p

Good luck!

Ciao, Domenico

13. it has American Vintage pickups and a high mass bridge. It's a good deal even new.