1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - German Warwick Streamer LX4 (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance129, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Very happy to finally own a German Warwick!
    My first bass, ever, was a RockBass Corvette. And since that day, I've wanted a German Warwick. Well in the last few months, I decided I would pull the trigger on a used German Warick of some sort. I hemmed and hawed over which model, how many strings, etc, and even made a thread about it to help narrow things down.

With time, I decided I wanted a Streamer. I wasn't quite ready to commit to a NT Stage I or II, so I scoured Reverb, Ebay, and some of the used big-box store sites for an LX. Found one a few weeks ago on Reverb and contacted the owner. We talked a bit about the instrument and I eventually decided to make an offer. He accepted, I paid, and it was shipped...

... And she arrived the other day :hyper:
    Streamer10.

A 2003 Streamer LX 4 in "Ocean Blue" with an oil finish. I hesitated at first because of the color, but the more I stared at her, the harder I fell lol. She's gorgeous...
    Streamer1.
    Streamer2.

The finish, the shape, the bell brass frets... Everything just looks lovely to me. And that wood grain pattern under the finish makes me proud to own her...

Streamer7.
    drooldrooldrool

Streamer3.

The previous owner added quite a few upgrades:
    - Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder Pickups
    - Seymour Duncan STC-3A Preamp
    - Gotoh Tuners
    And he added a new black bridge and JAN 3 nut.

Streamer8.

Streamer4.

After a little love and some much-needed adjustments (the previous owner apparently liked a really high action lol), this thing plays great. I was a little worried about the weight, but it's REALLY well balanced and the weight is distributed in a way it doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it supposedly is (he told me it was around 10.5-11 lbs). I haven't yet weighed it myself, but with the Schaller strap locks that came with it and a wide strap I already had, it's very comfortable. Practically no neck dive.

Considering all the upgrades, I got her at a really good price and, all in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. Can't wait to take her to her first gig :D.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    EmuBass, FingerDub, JRA and 8 others like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool bass, Congrats!

Resonance129 likes this.
  3. Beautiful! I love the colour. How does it sound?

One thing: I don’t think German Pro Series existed in 2003.

Resonance129 likes this.
  4. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Much appreciated :D

5. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia

Thank you, much. I'm lovin the color too, now that I've had time to really appreciate it. If I were to CHOOSE a color, I probably would've gone with the "Petrol Green" option they have, but I really do love this Ocean Blue.

It sounds really nice to me. Plenty of tonal options. She can get that cranky, aggressive, mid-driven, snappy kind of sound you'd expect to hear in rock, or totally mellow out and fatten up for the engulfing, bass-heavy, smooth sound you'd expect in R&B or Jazz. And plenty of tones in between. The P/J setup is more versatile than I even knew (first time with this setup). With the Mids control that came with the preamp he installed, it can really open up.

About the GPS thing, I'm still a little confused, myself. I wasn't sure about that, but I've checked the serial number multiple times on the Warwick site, to be sure I was typing it in correctly, and all the info matches up. Even specifically says "Made in Germany" at the bottom of the page. Only thing that would make some sense is the original owner put a German neck on a Korean Pro Series body. I initially worried I got scammed, but at this point, after seeing her in person, playing her, hearing her, feeling the weight distribution, etc, I almost don't even care too much lol. I got it at a nice price, especially considering all the upgrades, and now that I've "bonded" with her, I'm happy, regardless :).

I'll probably email Warwick in the next few days to try and gain some clarity. I'll update when I get some answers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. A PJ setup is great to have on a bass, I have owned several and currently own 2.

I don't doubt that your bass was made in Germany but I'm pretty sure they weren't called German Pro Series back then, that's a more recent product line. As far as I know there was also no custom shop at the time. Your bass is simply a German Warwick. I have a 2012 Corvette $$ that's like a transitional model, it's neither GPS or custom shop but it has some of the custom shop features.

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    That actually would make a lot of sense, considering the build of the instrument, the color, and it's age.

I haven't actually looked yet, but would you happen to know if they stamp the serial numbers anywhere on the body? That would confirm things in my mind.

As I said, I love the thing, either way. Thanks for posting that.

8. I don’t think so. I took my Thumb and Corvette apart once but I don’t remember seeing a serial number in the neck pocket. Maybe in the control cavity?

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

really cool bass! looks like a player! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

10. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    I much prefer the blue to any natural wood color you might have considered.

Resonance129 likes this.
  11. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Def plays well. One of the easier instruments to play that I own.
    Thanks much!

12. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Still haven't taken her apart yet, but I ordered some new strings. When I replace them, I plan to look through the cavity for some numbers.

13. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Agreed. I knew I wanted some color when I looked around for it. The blue definitely stuck out. Glad I jumped on it.