NBD Gibson EB (13)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RED J, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I recently got this beauty from MasterBass! in mint condition.

It really is flawless in construction fit and finish, no fault to be found. I'm not crazy nit picky about finish issues, but, nothing wrong here.
    One finish issue that bugs me is white. I hate bright white. However, the Satin Cream is just that. Very cue ball ivory and matte in appearance. Antique type white which I do really like. Nice with tort like a Deluxe active J which I've always admired. The picture leans much more toward bright white which it's not in person . I ran that risk and lucked out.
    I like fat muscular tone and it has that, but with a clarity and definition that is refreshing. It is a typical big pole humbucker sound IMO, like an HH Ray but passive organic-ness if you will.
    I'm not much of a bridge pickup only guy but it passes that test for me, I would, but probably won't, use it soloed.
    I have discovered in recent times getting the primary tone from the bridge and fattening it up with the Neck gets good results. I found this with some other basses too, just the opposite of my experience with P-J's It can get very modern with alot of bite too. Very nice middle of the road neck size, very even tone and the plekked neck has great action.

I installed new strings and had to do a bare 1/8 tweek of truss rod to eliminate low register buzz, done.
    I haven't yet adjusted the Babicz bridge, I do want to lower strings a hair. No documentation came for the bridge, so I have to look that up.

I haven't been with a band in some time, so I can't speak to how it sits in that situation. I'm still exploring the tonal possibilities. There is a noticeable difference in single versus double coil modes, though not drastic. Probably would be recorded.

I was a little apprehensive about the short top horn, but there is no neck dive, hangs very well, and not overly "reachy" for first position, which is the big issue for me with short arms. It also being well balanced and with the back body cut out, falls very naturally into a somewhat more vertical neck position. Maybe not the image for younger guys but perfect for an old dude like me.

It is only seven pounds, and with the above may be the most comfortable bass on a strap ever for me. Anyway, I'm a bit puzzled why these flashed and crashed so quickly. I also like the SG style which I guess they dumped too. Even having been at my core a lifelong P and J guy, It's a shame IMHO.

They are well worth a shot. Like anything else take it on it's own merit and don't expect it to be something else it's not. What it is, however, is a great well designed versatile bass. Yes it looks somewhat like a Moserite or a dookie 60's Asian design. Don't let that bother ya, Eastwood sells repros of them for about the same price as these and for the Made in USA hardcores, this one is.

Very fine instrument, and, oh, came with nice hardshell case.

gibson EB 13.JPG

kirillstokes, StayLow, hopsbb and 2 others like this.
  2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I have always wanted one of those. Congrats on the new bass!

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    The first of these I ever checked out was really shoddily put together and did not sound good at all, but my brother has one that, while it definitely has some weird manufacturing flaws, sounds and plays beautifully. I've haven't really been a fan of Gibson basses but a good EB is a fantastic bass. Congrats!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021