1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Gibson EB 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hsech, Oct 12, 2013.

1. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Today was new Bass Day. I got a Gibson EB 5 String Bass. I've been doing research on them for a while. It seems like the reviews are mixed. People either love them or hate them. I wondered about the satin finish so I bought the natural finish. You don't see any imperfections with the natural finish. I put on a fresh set of La Bella's and set the string height this evening. The bridge seemed a little quirky until I figured out how to adjust the height of the individual saddles. Having figured it out, it's actually kind of cool the way they adjust.

EB1_zps806f0f6f.

2. Looks fantastic! I find these to be attractive and excellent playing. Its the QC (and accordingly the price) that keep me from buying one. Enjoy your new bass!

3. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I see no QC problems with mine. This is in the vein of the Faded Gibson SG Bass and some of the earlier faded series basses. The satin finish doesn't bother me because after reading all the reviews I knew what to expect. As far as QC issues, give me an example. I think the price is a steal for a Gibson USA.

4. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    whoa, fresh!

5. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I love my natural-finish EB5 too. I think these are great basses--especially for the price!

6. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I find it looks much nicer as a 5-er than as a four string somehow. Nice bass! Thinking of trying one out this weekend.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I completely agree. I haven't seen a five string in person yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Do you know what the string spacing at the bridge and width of the nut are?