1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Gibson Midtown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hsech, Sep 25, 2013.

1. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I've been gassing for one of these for a long time. I finally saved up enough to pull the trigger. I bought it from the good folk at SW and it just arrived today. I've already put on a set of TI Flats and I'm still doodling around with the bridge trying to get the string height right. Wow this thing has a lot of low end. I also own a Gibson SG Reissue with the same pickups, but it sure sounds different on a semi-hollow bass. The quality is excellent and the fit and finish are perfect. The foggy looking area on the bass is reflection.

MT1_zpsb9c64677.
    MT4_zps70ec4730.
    MT5_zps3b97744f.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I LOVE the Eskimo look! Way cool!

X8

3. Yeah, these are pretty damn cool.

Does the interior of the case smell like vanilla? (I had a Les Paul in a case like that, smelled like vanilla.)

4. I really like the looks of these. If I was going to buy a Gibson bass this would be the one I'd get.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Very cool... Congrats!

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had my lefty Cherry Midtown for 6 months now, I'm still madly in love!
    w_zps8f9b3885.

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Cool bass!

8. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I played it last night at practice. It's a monster. The neck pickup isn't too muddy with a little tweak of the tone control. I'm still impressed by the amount of low end this thing puts out. You can feel it in your chest. Much deeper tone than my SG Reissue bass with the same pickups. At a little under 9 lbs. it's very comfortable to play.

Yes the case did smell like vanilla.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Is the bass strung with flats from the factory?

10. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Round wounds from the factory. I use flats on all my basses.

11. Ha. I knew it. It's so random, but it beats the smell of feet that most cases have.

Excellent choice, especially for this bass, I wouldn't have it any other way.

12. Quoting myself from September--this ended up being the Gibson I got when last week's sale hit. Tracking number has been sent, looking forward to delivery next week.