1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Gibson Shorty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gustopher, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Just pulled the trigger on going short scale for a while to see how it fits me, Bass of choice was this Gibson Les Paul DC. I have definitely fallen head over heels for it, biggest sound of any bass I’ve ever played and it feels really great! QC on this one was excellent and I’m quite enamored with it and the short scale in general. This bass came setup extremely well and I see nothing that needs adjusted out of the box, neck is perfect and action is just where I like it. Wish I had tried this 3 basses ago, lol.
    42A09EEF-0405-4189-9E84-5210852C31C0.jpeg
    36942506-735D-46E2-8B81-1A74F06CEEAC.jpeg
    8A2B485B-0EC5-45AC-9E73-E1ECCBBE6A14.jpeg
    CFA2A78E-90B6-41B2-8534-BFFF399B3F71.jpeg
    F9B0AF22-2C84-46A5-BBDA-D7155D005787.jpeg

2. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Congrats! Love my shorty!

3. Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Your coverage of this bass really helped me seal the deal. Thanks! You were right on with your impressions!

Outtaseezun, MCF and LowEndLobster like this.
  4. electricGstring

electricGstring Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Atlanta Ga
    Man, that is GORGEOUS!!! I’ve never been a “Gibson guy” but that bass looks fantastic.

5. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    It looks beautiful. Great pics!! Let us know how it plays.

Gustopher likes this.
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Congrats. Looks great. :)

Gustopher likes this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice. Congrats.

Gustopher likes this.
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Congrats on your new Gibby! May it serve you well.

A small bass with big attitude is how I'd describe those.

Play it in good health and enjoy!

Gustopher likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Welcome to the Gibson sound. :)

One of the reasons I’ve always liked playing Gibson basses is their sonic presence in a mix. Hit a note and you can hear and feel its authority.

So far I’ve successfully resisted the temptation to get a LPDCB to keep company with my other Gibsons. But tomorrow is always another day, right?

Congratulations on your NB. Play it well. :):thumbsup:

MCF and Gustopher like this.
  10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Played one at guitar center not long ago. Poor setup with a bit of fret sprout, but the quality was there. I could feel the potential it had with a nice setup. It had a thunderous tone. Enjoy it!

Gustopher likes this.
  11. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Congratulations & Compliments. I really like those. Jeannie smiles upon short-scales too. :bassist:

Gustopher likes this.
  12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I bought one , and it’s become a favourite bass . I put a lot of time on it . My only regret was not buying one sooner .
    Nice weight , sounds great , and fun to play .
    Great basses . Mine had some fret sprout and needed a setup , but I realized there was a really nice little bass in there .
    And there is .

13. Scott Shaw

Scott Shaw

Jun 6, 2019
    I'm curious about these. What kind of tone is it? Is there a more common bass that sounds similar?

Gustopher likes this.
  14. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    This model has an interesting history. It seems that the early design for the EB bass was this shape. I saw a video where someone claimed CME worked with Gibson to sort of reissue the original with some modern specs.

There is something magical about the Gibson Short scale.

15. Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  16. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    I love mine, even if it was the catalyst for pushing me headlong down the Gibson bass rabbit hole.

I’ll never be the same again.

MCF, dan1952 and Gustopher like this.
  17. Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I can honestly understand... it really did feel nice to open that bag and see the quality this bass was crafted with. I may have turned on a part of my brain that I didn't know was there as well...
    I went with Gibson after seeing the love my guitar player has for all of his guitars, he has a couple LP's a Firebird and Explorer and they are all super nice. So I figured, this would be a great opportunity to see if I was a Gibson guy with a bass... turns out, so far I am!

MCF likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s TNT! That pickup, you won’t look back. Nice score. Great finish too.

Gustopher and MCF like this.
  19. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Cool! Post some samples if you get a chance, I'm interested to hear it (including the coil tap if that's what it is).

Gustopher and MCF like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It has a solid short-scale round quality. But it’s not muddy. You can get it to growl very nicely if you like. Closest equivalent sound I could think of are the pickups on the 2017 EB. Definitely its own thing to my ears. And if you slap you’ll like the slap tone you can get out if it. The split coil switch is also a nice addition.

LowEndLobster has a demo up on YT that’ll give you a good idea (insofar as YT’s audio compression will let it) of what it sounds like.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Scott Shaw, MCF and Gustopher like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021