NBD Gibson Thunderbird content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goatrope, May 13, 2019.

1. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I couldn't pass up the deal SW made me on this “demo” T-Bird. The flaw in the finish, where the bottom wing joins the central body, on the back of the bass, is very thin, exposing wood. This is just in the recess, along the corner.

Biggest surprise was the weight. It’s light. 8.3 lbs on a kitchen ingredients scale.

I’ve never had a bass with a strap button behind the neck heel. That’s kinda weird, but my right arm falling normally prevents the bass from leaning away from my body. I guess there’s a bit more incentive to work off that belly fat. :)

I suppose there’s some neck dive, but since I have a 4001 and a Thumb bass, I’m kinda over that. None of these actually dive below 9°clock, but all fall somewhere between 9:30 and 10°clock. The light overall weight makes it easy to counter.

I put Dunlop Super Bright Nickels on it, since that’s the rounds I’m using on the other round-wearing basses. The sound has a murky quality, but still very defined.

The relief is fine, the action is fine. I had to redo the intonation, as typical. Babicz bridge is a welcome upgrade.

I’ll use it this Saturday to see how it sounds live. Usually I bring a P Bass with flats, and a J Bass with rounds, or similar sounding couple. My guess is that this bass won’t reach either extreme, but maybe find a new voice in between.

Pics coming. I’m having trouble with my app and can’t get the upload to work at the moment.

Forgot to mention: This sucker is long. It doesn’t fit in my Mono M80 Dual gig bag. It did come with a great hard case, but I was hoping I could squeeze it in there, but there’s no way.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Maxime1980, Rabidhamster, MCF and 7 others like this.
  2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    It won't sound like the 7enders!
    You may need to work on your amp's eq a bit as a Thunderbird is quite different from your other basses, congratulations, and come on by the club thread if you like :)

MCF, RedVee, PillO and 1 other person like this.
  3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    5F22A116-0C7D-4089-ADF4-C97E763AE1D6.jpeg D23B71D7-639B-46B3-84AD-B204D5D4BD6C.jpeg 9CFE1ABE-1043-4250-A1B7-E1BD6E28C32E.jpeg 19949D47-0723-4A63-B53F-868CBD080F32.jpeg 40ADA4C0-1CED-4CF8-A69E-2C373976C478.jpeg

Nocturnal, RedVee, PillO and 4 others like this.
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Thanks. I’ll get over there eventually. :) I’d already read quite a bit of it, but it’s so massive, there’s no way to get through all of it. Have you guys ever thought of creating your own Wiki?

MCF, RedVee, PillO and 2 others like this.
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I can't say we'd considered that, all the same we really enjoy questions from folks rather than the search function - it always brings new info to light.

6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

If we had our own Wiki, we couldn't talk about Thunderbirds as much. Or anything else, for that matter. Where's the fun in that?

Congratulations on snagging that bass. 8.3 pounds is a featherweight!

7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I just picked up a T Bird myself and there is a learning curve for sure. Luckily for me, Im used to strap buttons on the neck because Ive played an SG for years, so it feels normal to me. The main learning curve is you have to EQ a T Bird completely different from a P, and especially a J bass from Fender. Same way that the amp settings that sound killer for a Strat sound terrible for a Les Paul and vice versa. Mahogany vs alder is a big difference, so are humbuckers for single coils.

I thought the few T Birds I tried in the past sounded too dark and as you said, murky, because I was playing them with the bass sounds I preferred for Fender P basses dialed in, cant do that. Once I really sat down with a T Bird and took a good 15 minutes to dial in a tone I liked, I realized how awesome and versatile it was. It will absolutely bury a P bass in low end and can get a nice top end with a bridge sound thats actually useable rather than a J's weak and wimpy sounding bridge pickup. Blend the two together and its awesome, especially with a heavy pick attack. I would suggest taking some time to really dialing in the sound for it and then take a photo of the settings. Have fun.

8. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    You know, I actually have no problem with heavy basses. I kinda feel guilty that someone with that need didn’t snatch it up. It was listed as 8lbs 6oz on the SW site, but I only saw that after I weighed it.

Gaolee and RedVee like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Don't feel guilty. It chose you. It wouldn't have gone home with anybody else.

Goatrope and RedVee like this.
  10. Congrats. No point getting a heavier Bird if this one is ‘the one’.
    Just enjoy the ride.

Goatrope likes this.