1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD...God of Thunder!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Finally, after saying I was going to buy one for the last three years, I found my Thunderbird.
    Owned a Goth and a Pro IV back in 2014 and I really liked them for what they were, but everyone knows when you get serious, there's only two ways to go, and one of them is going to set you back $1,500 or so.
    Seriously, I drop by this or that music store nearly every week...three different Guitar Centers, Sam Ash, 8th Street Music, Russo's and Robbie's, and I try out between 50 and 60 basses a year but this is only the second Epiphone Classic IV I've ever seen hanging up...other than a few in Vintage Sunburst, but when I checked out GC online this morning I saw that they had a used one in Alpine White.
    Funny thing is, I was actually on my way to Russo's to pay off my Ibanez Talman 300 and approaching the highway I almost headed north but figured, what the hell, Cherry Hill's only 20 minutes away, so I took the exit for 295 south instead and I'm sure glad I did.
    Got to Guitar Center five minutes after they opened the door. Went to the bass room (this GC usually has 70 basses or more) and saw the T-bird hanging there right in the doorway.
    Grabbed it, plugged it into a little Fended Rumble and knew I had to have it the moment I heard that sweet, sweet tone.
    Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people putting down Gibson basses, complaining about the mudbuckers, about the neck dive, about the crappy bridge, etc, but the simple truth is some people simply don't know what they're talking about.
    This thing is an iconic rock bass. It looks great and sounds better. And the best thing about it is I won't have to ever think about buying a Gibson because this does everything the Gibson can do.
    $399...hipshot bridge, hardshell case, and the only thing I have to do is put on the proper strings.
    2ymsubl.jpg
    Crappy pic from the GC website.
    Put it on layaway.
    Two basses in two weeks.
    Gas can be a serious issue!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Tbone76, TheMinutemen and EdO. like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

So you've already used it with a strap in a standing position & there was no neck dive?
    You've already adjusted the intonation on the bridge?

I'm getting nothing from your URL: http://i68.tinypic.com/2ymsubl.jpg

Oh, congratulations!

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    No need to.
    I know what to expect, I know what to do.
    My old Thunderbird Pro IV is something like 2 inches longer than the Classic IV and neck dive was never a problem.
    Definitely like the bridge on my new one better than the Gibson 3-point...should work out fine.
    Not to mention, it will fit in my gig bag.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021