1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Godin A5 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpdeluxe, May 20, 2011.

1. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Since I had too many basses (Martin B-1, Classic '50's P, Classic '51 RI, AV '57) guitars and amps, I cut down on my inventory a little. The Samick L-5 clone went, along with the B-1 and a Blues Jr NOS amp. In their place stands....

GodinA5fretless.

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Lovely bass! I really dig the thumb rest.

I've got a Godin Glissentar (11-string nylon fretless guitar) and I find the under-saddle transducer to be a bit harsh. If the pickup on this is similar, you'd probably benefit from a good acoustic-style combo designed for double bass. But enjoy it - I'm sure it plays great.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Thank you! I'll find out in about an hour when I attend practice for my new lineup. I've been playing a P over there, and this will show me what it can do. Excellent fit and finish. I haven't really tweaked the EQ, but a guy at church who has one loaned it to a upright/Genz-Benz player who went nuts over it. (I also have a G-B).

4. chadr

chadr

Jun 8, 2010
    Ok, it's been almost three weeks, how do you like it? :)

I'm thinking of ordering the A5 Ultra Bass but trying to get past ordering it without playing it or hearing it.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Since I got it, I haven't really played anything else. I'm loving the feel and the sound; the only thing I don't like is the slightly narrow string spacing. The fingerboard is flat, with short "fret" lines on the upper edge of the fingerboard, which makes it really easy to play in tune. I miss sometimes when I'm playing faster runs, but that will probably disappear with practice. I haven't recorded seriously with it yet -- just rehearsals with 5 open mics in a small room, which pretty much ruins any chance at a good bass sound -- but my band mates like it. It's very comfortable to play, has high ratio tuners, and is balanced well. It's definitely a keeper. I won't be giving away my Precisions any time soon, but this one really works with the folkie group I'm playing with, and looks the part more than my fiesta red Fender.:D

6. chadr

chadr

Jun 8, 2010
    That's great to know thanks! I wish they had some decent sound examples of them online but the best I can find are a few sub-sub-par YouTube videos of people playing it. If you ever do get a chance to record with it I'd love to hear some of the clips.

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    How is the action on it?

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The action is fairly low. Being a five string, the neck is a little chunky, but, being a dedicated Precision man, I'm OK with that. It actually feels effortless to play, with no noise from the strings (nor,, obviously, from frets). The EQ is versatile, but I'm looking forward to opening it up with a decent amp in a big room. With all my trade-ins, I put out about $150 in cash -- they go for $1200 online. I've noticed that it doesn't hold its tune like my Fenders, but, hey, I've got a tuner.