1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Gold Tone PBB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZachM, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    New Bass Day!

My band just got a bunch of instruments to start doing acoustic sets. Rehearsed with it last night... it doesn't sound like an upright exactly but gets that kinda vibe. Good stuff! Playing it through my big rig, it's a really good, big sound that kinda has some of the note decay characteristic of an upright. Actually, the biggest surprise for me was how it sounded through a Vox AC15! Great vibe for a acoustic set.

Acoustically, it's very balanced sound wise, and it's definitely loud enough to keep up with a guitar or two. I'm digging it!

Here it is:

IMG_0551.
    photo-8.
    photo-7.

2. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    I dig it!

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    oh my god that is cool

4. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Very nice.

Reso's have an advantage over standard ABG's; they have a more pronounced mid-range that cuts through better.

Paul's design is really nice... Cool to see the Gold Tone version.

Moonshine :bassist:

5. VERY cool, ZachM. Looks like a toy in that last pic (cool effect):)

6. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah it is a fun instrument! It's much more comfortable than a lot of the acoustic instruments I've played in the past, probably due to its 32" scale length.

I'm gonna have to play around with strings too... I'm thinking some tape wounds would be great on this.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's cool lookin'. Congrats.

8. Where can you get them? They're cool.

9. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure exactly... We got ours from gold tone direct I think. The bandleader actually bought this bass, along with a resonator guitar, an electric banjo, a ganjo, and a mandolin.

I've only seen one other resonator bass before this one, and it wasn't a Gold Tone... Can't recall the brand now.

10. Fender made one back in +/-2003. It's like 27" scale, fun to play, but doesn't sound all that great.
    DSC039410600.

I did some repairs on this one for a friend, but I think it's finally out of my house.
    If I recall the history, someone wanted one for a video (Black Crowes?) and after making one Fender decided to produce them for the public, but apparently didn't do enough R&D and they failed miserably.
    Liked the F-holes, though.

11. I've got a 6 string guitar version of the Fender. I've been curious about these resonator style basses that keep turning up.

Do you play them in standard tuning? Glass or metal slide? Normally?

How do they sound?

12. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Well, I can't speak to all resonator basses but this is a standard tuned, normal bass. The best way to describe the sound of mine is that It kinda sounds like a cross between an upright and a P-bass, and if I put some tape wounds on (which I haven't done yet but plan to try), it may get even more upright-like.

Tonight at rehearsal I was playing it with a little bit of distortion and tremolo from a Vox ac15, baritone guitar style... It may find its way into our electric sets! I've tried the slide thing also, and it's cool, but i'd need to have it set up for that, as the action is very comfortable for normal playing but the slide bottoms out on the frets.

13. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Here's a little video my band did a few days ago that showcases the sound of the bass pretty well in an acoustic setting, if anyone is interested in hearing it. It's very lightly amplified by a little guitar amp we had sitting around the house, but the sound is very close to how it sounds un-amplified. Check it out!

Adele - Someone Like You: Acoustic Cover - YouTube

14. Thumper828

Thumper828

Jan 29, 2010
    North Carolina
    cool bass

15. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    The bass, the band, and Natalie sound great. You've got it going on. Good on ya', bro!

iJazz