1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: got my dream bass used but noticed this. Is it doomed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheKillersFan, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    Hi all,

I just snagged my dream bass, a G&L ASAT, for $660 and I’m absolutely in love with it. However, as I was inspecting it (I had to have it shipped to the GC near me) I noticed that the screw to adjust the truss rod is stripped. Is this salvageable? Or should I return it and keep looking for others?

the rest of the bass is pretty beat up/worn, but I actually don’t mind that

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It should just be the nut that is stripped. If you can remove it, and if that is the only issue, it ought to be a $10 part and an easy fix.

Replacement Truss Rod Nut

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm sending that back. You deserve better.

Did GC note this, in their description? I wouldn't consider that 'normal wear'.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Its probably stripped as it was cranked down all the way. Does the neck have a lot of bow? Action looks really high in one pic.

5. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    This sounds promising! Is there a way to test if the trust rod is still in good condition?

6. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    I get the impression that GC is not good with their online postings for used instruments. The posting just had two pictures of the front of the guitar and said it was used.

7. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    Action and neck feel just fine to me

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If it is too stripped to adjust, I don't think so. The neck should move as you loosen the truss rod, though. In my experience, it isn't all that uncommon to damage the nut, but damage to the rod itself isn't that common.

It is possible to reach the limits of the truss rod and still need to straighten the neck more. This points to a potentially more serious problem, but isn't necessarily the end of life for the neck. I have been able resolve that with a little lighter gauge of strings. One time I added washers as spacers under the nut to get a little more play from the truss rod - not an ideal solution, but it saved a 50-year-old Fender neck.

I'm not exactly a G&L historian, but I think there are three different truss rods in G&L basses. The oldest ones had a bullet truss rod nut, and this is clearly not that. The newest ones have a dual action rod, and that nut is not removable. Based on the wear, I'm betting yours is from the middle - and that is the nut I linked to.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The nut could also just be rounded because they used the wrong size wrench. I think GC is 45 days for returns? I would replace the nut and make sure the truss rod works and return it if it doesn't.

Reedt2000, JIO, jamro217 and 12 others like this.
  10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Also, if you can sort that truss rod problem out, that is a great price. The wear wouldn't bother me either.

I have a metallic red ASAT. The ergonomics of these basses aren't for everyone, but they really are great looking, playing, and sounding instruments.

Agree. It all comes down to preference, but it looks to be set up with what I consider to be medium-high action. That bass should be able to take a lower setup, but again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  11. Get it checked. It might only cost you $670 for your dream bass (plus some labor to change that nut).

12. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Just FYI, might be good to verify production year of your bass. The replacement truss rod nut linked indicates:

"Replacement 4mm Truss Rod Nut for Tribute Series models and USA instruments manufactured from mid-2006 to mid-2013."

However:

Replacement Truss Rod Nut Kit ( 80' - 06' )

Links to a similar nut, described as:

"Replacement Truss Rod "Bullet" for USA instruments manufactured from 80's - 06'. Included are two brass spacer washers."

Apparently there was a change mid-'06, so year of production may come into play. Either of them indicate
    that "current US models and Tributes built 2015 and later have dual-action truss rods with integrated truss nut that is welded on, not replaceable."

I definitely concur with trying a replacement if you like the bass otherwise. Being the cautious type, I'd
    make sure to get the right nut and have a luthier install and make sure the truss rod is otherwise OK, but
    that's up to you. As others have noted, if you got this from GC you have 45 days to return so why not?

Rapisme and TheKillersFan like this.
  13. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    Agreed on the price and feel of the bass! Honestly, replacing the neck wouldn’t be the worst thing for me either, since I could then look into doing roasted maple with block inlays and presumably the cost would still be lower than a brand new ASAT

a brand new one wouldn’t be too bad either though, since I could pick the color and look into having it be semi-hollow

Bleecker and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021
    Based off the serial number (begins with B0) it looks like it would have been made between ‘80-‘97. I’m definitely interested in replacing the nut.. but I’m worried that GC wouldn’t accept it if something goes wrong

Relsom and spike42 like this.
  15. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    If the nut will not turn either way i.e. you cannot remove it I would probably take it back. I respect that its your dream bass, but ASATs are a fairly common bass and if its your dream you deserve to have a nice working one.

red_rhino, mikecd1, Murch and 6 others like this.
  16. I hate to be a dream buster, but....

That ruined nut is a big red flag on that particular bass. It's torn up enough that it looks like someone was trying very hard to adjust the rod, like maybe it's super stiff or even frozen.

The caveat: That's a solid maple bi-cut neck, which means that replacing a broken or frozen truss rod is all but impossible. BTDT.

There's a reason G&L abandoned the bi-cut solid maple necks quite a few years ago. Hopefully a fresh nut will work. Good luck.

17. 808State

808State

Dec 30, 2020
    Its not that bad.
    Looks bad, but not that bad.
    Still has hex in there.

18. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I agree it’s not fully stripped. That just looks to me like some ham fist used whatever they had on hand that could cram in there. That happens more than it probably should on the road. The deeper interior surface area appears to be still usable

Does an Allen wrench gain traction if you try to adjust?

Clutchcargo likes this.
  19. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Ok, so it's not just me seeing that. From the one picture provided, the first thing I noticed was the remaining hex portion.

instrumentalist and Rabidhamster like this.
  20. 808State

808State

Dec 30, 2020
    Someone either used the wrong wrench, and gave up. Or the angle is weird and the entrance to the hex
    gets bummed up from people using longer straight wrenches. Or the cheapo factory wrench or a Home Depot multi wrench where you have to fight the angle. Which dings up the beginning of the hex.

It might be harder now to figure out the right wrench, since its going to be tough at the beginning of the insert.
    But there is still lots of hex in there. Id assume the factory documents will note what is the actual size.

They have Taper wrenches or Gripper Wrenches and all kinds of fancy tools at Stew Mac for pretty basic problems like this.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Jaycephas, MOFuB and Rabidhamster like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021