1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Graphite Guitar Systems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Todd GT5, May 19, 2012.

1. Hello TBer's, I got my new GGS today! I love it! I put on my well broken in Chromes to compare to my other GGS. I have Nordstrand Big Splits with VVT in the new one and Big Singles in the old one. The new one is a set neck while the old one is bolt on. It has quilted maple top, with "tiger Eye" burst finish and solid alder back. Initial impressions are this is that is exactly what I wanted. I will post more after spending some time with it.

Thanks - Todd

DSC09721.jpg

DSC09722.jpg

DSC09723.jpg

DSC09724.jpg

DSC09725.jpg

Matt R, andrew, lowendrachel and 3 others like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lovely looking bass. Congratulations!

3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Wow!!

4. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    wow...that's nice.

5. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    Wow, awesome! What kind of fingerboard is that?

6. Thanks!
    The fret board is Zon's Phenowood. I can't wait to play it with the band.

-Todd

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Sweet! What would the street price on something like that be?

8. I need to ask Jerry about that. I know it would be very competitive compared with Modulus or Zon. Graphite Guitar Systems phone number is easy to get by googling "Graphite Guitar Systems".

Thanks - Todd

9. That thing looks AMAZING! Beautiful bass.

10. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    ^ Neato! Love 'Phenowood.' The board on yours looks a lot lighter than the one on my '06 Sonus, interesting to see more grain.

11. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    that bass is absolutely gorgeous!!!
    I am jealous

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The body is drop dead gorgeous.
    Not a fan of the head shape and the look of the fretboard.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I like the lower horn. It kind of reminds me of the Peavey Quad B.

14. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Cool bass. Looks very Brian bromberg inspired on the body (which isn't a bad thing at all), The B Quads were amazing basses. Interesting set neck design too. I like the top and color. Most are way too bright, that one has a cool darker stain. Looks like a great bass. Congrats!

15. donk

donk

Nov 5, 2006
    Looks great Todd. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    For some reason I can't see a pic!

17. Well some more observations. I ran my older GGS bass which has a graphite veneer front, bolt-on neck(with phenolic fret board), Nordstrand Big Singles, and well seasoned D'Addario Chromes. Then I switched the strings to the new bass, quilted maple top, Big Splits and set neck(Phenowood fretboard). I was surprised to find that the newwer bass seems to have more range in tone, including more highs and clarity.

I've always heard that the Big Splits were slightly darker than the Big Singles, so something else in the difference in construction, must have added the clarity and extended upper tonal range. Love it!

-Todd

18. That is indeed a beautiful bass!

Sometimes steering clear of the norm (different materials, shapes) and the uniqueness that accompanies that are hard for some traditionalists to like or get used to. I dig the fingerboard.

There's something extra special in receiving a custom that you've waited for. Getting ANY new bass is great, but this is...ulp...orgasmic. Nearly.

:eek:

19. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    I'd love to hear A/B samples of the two if you get a chance!

20. I'll get some recordings up this weekend or next week sometime. Probably the closest to A-Bing will be to post a song where I was using the old bass and another of the same song with the new bass. I run the same amp and settings, and I will be using my old strings that were on the older GGS also.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my new bass. It's hard to wait for a custom ordered bass...but very worth it to me.

-Todd