1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Gretsch Junior Jet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Was on order for a long time...finally came in:>

Gretsch Electromatic G2220 Junior Jet Shortscale
    Weight 8lbs 3oz.
    Nut width: 1 9/16ths inch
    This one made in China

String ball to E-post:> 34 inches
    String ball to nut:> 31 1/2 inches.

Nice playable neck
    No neck dive on this one
    Nicely balanced

Fit and finish:. good . no blemishes, cracks flaws or whatever. everything tight.

Neck.....good...no twists, warps or whatnot.

Has gloss on back of the neck...but that hasn't bothered me yet.

Tone: Maybe earlier Junior Jets had thunderous bottom end. The G2220 isn't any better than an out-of -the box Mikro for bottom end.
    The bottom end is good , yes........but not better than say an EB-O.

Overall the tone is quite good though. Tone knob and toggle switch settings can give you a good mix of tones.

Don't know what brand of strings Gretsch uses...but this one came with roundwounds which for some reason didn't sound all that great really. Stock strings are said to be 45/105's.

Took those off and tried 3 different sets of flats I had around. Didn't improve anything.

Put on a set of year-old D'addario nickel rounds and that brought it to life. Much much better.
    Yes...I know....but I'm telling you it worked.

I ordered this long before the Ibanez TMB-30 descended from heaven...but I won't be seeing one of those around here for a long time the way the stores work here.

Do I like the Gretsch?
    Yes.
    Happy I bought it?
    Yes

IMG_0125.JPG

JxBass likes this.
  2. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Congrats! I love mine, I also was not impressed with the stock strings, but do like the way chromes work on it. Oh, and look into an ashtray bridge cover...they look awesome on that little beast!

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I always thought that those looked pretty cool. Keep tweakin'.

4. I have the G2224 (same bass but in sunburst). Similar experience to you in that the stock strings sucked. After a professional set up and re-string with Chromes, a world of difference...

5. Beverlyvista

Beverlyvista

Nov 25, 2009
    I have the 2 pickup in sunburst as well. I think it's fantastic, and as enjoyable a player as the EB-0 I bought thrity years before the end of the last century. The stock roundwounds were perfectly acceptable for a few months, but, as we all know, roundwounds die. I'm trying some flats, just to see. But, hey, if you're looking for a budget short scale, this is a real good deal.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have the earlier G2002. I think it's a different beast sonically than the current models. Mainly because the design (TV Jones worked with Getsch on that) and the position ("sweet spot") of its single pickup. When it comes to way down lows, those little G2002s will give even Gibson a run for its money.

If you get a chance to try a G2002, I think you'll get a different impression of the Junior Jet. The newer versions are very nice short scale basses. But IMO, the original version was much better. Supposedly their customers kept asking Gretsch to do a two pickup model, so they redesigned it.

Be careful what you ask for, I guess. ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2016