1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Guild B-240EF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm starting a new project next month. I will be based around classic portuguese music, like fado and other related styles.
    Since it's an acoustic based project, I'll be playing mainly upright but I also was looking for an acoustic bass guitar to use in this project since I'm mainly an electric bass player and although I play some upright it's not my main instrument.
    So I was looking for a fretless acoustic bass and I saw that Guild was releasing a new line of acoustic basses that had a fretless model.
    I have a friend that has a Guild ABG and I always loved the tone of that bass and so I placed an order for a new Guild B-240EF. I was a bit on the blind side because I did'nt have the chance to try it before and there aren't many videos or reviews available online.
    So today I went to pick it up on the store and let me tell you that I was very much surprised with this bass.
    It's lightweight and confortable to play with. The construction is good for its price range. It's fretless but has lines on the fretboard, I prefer a clean one without lines but this works. You can feel a bit of the lines in the scale but that's common on lined fretless bass that don't have an epoxy treatment.
    It brings those typical roundwound bronze strings that come with ABG. I'm not very fond of these because of the feel and string zing, specially on a fretless bass. I'd like to change them to nylon tapewounds but I'd like to ask for someone's opinion on that because I don't know if this bass is capable to deal with the increased string tension.
    I tried it first unplugged and I liked the tone and the feel of the neck. Then I plugged it on and I really like the sound of it. The preamp is very simple and only has volume and tone. But I really liked the way that the tone shaped the sound of this instrument. With the tone fully opened it sounded quite trebly and the zing of the bronze strings was full on, but with other strings I thing it will sound good to certain registers, like a solo or to play some chord sequences. With the tone turned counterclock, it has a lot of low end but with great definition. It brings you to upright territory.
    I'm very pleased with it and now it's time to start using it. Here's the picture.

IMG_20181029_114141.

2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Very nice indeed. They look like a cross between the old B30/50 and the B4 acoustics to me.

ABG's should be able to take any kind of string. Intonation will be more difficult, and may require the nut being recut and/or other adjustments, with a switch to flatwounds. Tapewounds, the tension varies greatly. And actually the bronze strings are higher tension than stainless steel.

Nylon tapewound will make it thump more, at the loss of some acoustic volume in most cases. YBMMV.
    IMO, phosphor bronze is worth playing-in past the initial zing.

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Nice review; sounds like you'll be using it for a great project! I wouldn't worry about tape wound tension. If anything, it might be lighter than the current set, since tapes have small-diameter round wounds under the layer of tape, and the tape only adds mass, not tension. For instance, .115 tape wound E will have tension similar to a .105 round. Whether a .115 string will fit through the bridge is another question, and it's likely the nut will have to be re-cut.

Nunovsky likes this.
  4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I'm still awaiting delivery of my B-240EF. I should have it around the 1st of the year. I'm planning on putting D'Addario Chromes on mine, so I contacted Cordoba Music Group (Guild) to see if they felt that a 10% increase in overall string tension would be OK. They told me that I may have to tweak the truss rod a small amount, but the bridge and top bracing should be able to handle the Chromes just fine. Chromes are the same gauges as the stock phosphor bronze strings, so I shouldn't have to file the nut. I'm not very concerned about intonation because it's fretless.

I am concerned about using the supplied gig bag for transporting the bass in my truck. I think I'll get the Gator rigid polyfoam case, or a hardshell case (if I can find one that fits).

Nunovsky likes this.