1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Guild B302A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkmaster p, Sep 12, 2018.

1. funkmaster p

funkmaster p Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I took delivery of a 1978 Guild B302A bass today.

IMG_2464.JPG

Can anyone tell me how each knob is supposed to function (I realize that it's 2 volume and 2 tone)? I suspect that the wiring might not be correct. I have numbered these knobs below. I appreciate any help.

b302 numbered knobs.JPG

Are these knobs the correct ones used on a '78 B302? I have seen others that had the "G" knobs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    I'm also going to have to hunt down a replacement pickup selector switch used on this model. This one is toast.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I played a stock one and it was wired up Gibson style, 1 & 3 is volume/tone for bridge PU, 2&4 is for the neck. When in the middle pickup position, turning one volume all the way down cuts the signal off entirely. The G knobs are stock. You can see the marker dot in the pickguard for gauging your setting on a numbered knob.
    FWIW, I really like that model of bass! It sounded great, had a nice, chunky neck and is very Rickenbacker for a non Ric.

4. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Thanks Bigtone! I have become a huge fan of this bass, and am now curious about the other Guild bass offerings.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The one I played was a surprisingly cool experience. I looked into other Guild solid body basses and saw they made a B301 with just the bridge PU and and X701/702 series that were on a much more angular, rockin'-in-an-80s-hair-metal-way body.
    On a different note, the 80s Pilots are killer P/J basses.

funkmaster p likes this.
  6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Yep, standard V/T-V/T. And non original knobs. I had a mahogany one that was superb.

funkmaster p likes this.
  7. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    After research, I found out that these big knobs are in fact original. I have seen several instances of this on '78 B302 and B301 basses, and has been verified by Hans Moust (Author of the Guild Book).

RyanOh likes this.
  8. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Superb looking bass. Happy NBD!

funkmaster p likes this.
  9. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Thanks!

10. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar bass wired in the Gibson style and asked to separate the volume knobs so you can roll back the neck or bridge like you'd expect. The guitar tech had it switched and back in my hands within 5 minutes.

I never understood the "Gibson way". It's so common to achieve desired tone by adjusting volume of the pickups independently. My SB-202 is V/V/T and was factory wired as separately controlled. Easy fix for yours.

funkmaster p likes this.
  11. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    Agreed 100%. I very much dislike this arrangement of controls, especially after being accustomed to my 4003. I might consider doing what you have mentioned, and then return to stock if I were to sell the bass.

RyanOh likes this.
  12. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Yeah 4003 same way. Completely reversible, but I suspect the new owner would prefer it that way too.

I was told it's a convenience for guitarists who want to dial the volume down to a cleaner tone. Fine for guitar, no good for bass.

funkmaster p likes this.
  13. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    That's an interesting theory. Could be right.

RyanOh likes this.
  14. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    A cool rewire for a passive 4 knobber is doing the VVT like a Jazz bass, then add either a bass cut knob (a la G&L) or a Q filter for the 4th spot. I put a Q filter on a bass, tuned it to roughly 500Hz via some resistor experiements. Love the extra tones you can get. I rarely, if ever, need to cut bass, but cutting mids is more useful and makes for some fat, dubby tones. When it's on 10, it's the normal, unaffected bass tone.

funkmaster p and RyanOh like this.
  15. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Oh, and the primary difference of coupled (Gibson and this Guild) vs decoupled (Jazz Bass & Rickenbacker) wiring is that when decoupled, the resistance seen by the pickups is lower and therefore the impedance at the output is higher.
    The takeaway is that when you drop the volume on decoupled wiring, the treble loss is greater. Not a big deal on a bass, but a bigger deal on a guitar, which is why that wiring is not used on guitars. You can always add a treble bleed circuit to counteract the treble roll off.

funkmaster p and RyanOh like this.
  16. funkmaster p

Jul 15, 2012
    Brunswick, GA
    bigtone23 likes this.