1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Hilton Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Moody, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I've had the pleasure of knowing Pete Hilton as a friend for a number of years. Ever since we compared notes back in Bass Player LIVE 2013 and found out we grew up a half hour from each other, we've been buddies. I've played his basses at a couple of solo bass events in CA when I'm there, as I just love the work he does.

At the end of 2016, I was in a position when had the ability to have Pete build me a bass. Given that I'm really not one to micro-manage the build, I gave Pete the only specs that really mattered to me.

-32" Scale
    -5 String
    -Workhorse Body shape

It arrived on Friday.

IMG_5549.JPG IMG_5550.JPG IMG_5551.JPG IMG_5552.JPG IMG_5553.JPG IMG_5554.JPG

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Gorgeous! How's it play and sound?

3. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It plays pretty effortlessly, although it's taking me a second to figure out where to put my right hand (because the bass sits differently than others on a strap). It sounds great, and really has no inherent "character" to the tone. It's all me.

4. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Beautiful bass!

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Eastwood Guitars, CHC Guitars, GHS strings
    Heck yeah, that is beautiful!

6. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Had the pleasure to meet Pete at Carl Thompson's lab back on March 2011. Very gentle and humble guy. And the backbone of Carl's shop back then.
    Please say hi to Pete. I'm Michele, the guy who came from Italy to take his bass.
    Oh.. and gorgeous bass you have there. Play it in good health!

7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Philthy gorgeous

8. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Beautiful instrument! Pete does amazing work. I had the pleasure of owning one of his reverse scroll basses. It was one of the best made basses I ever played.

9. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yeah, his reverse scroll basses are pretty. I do a lot of woodworking myself, but every time I see one of those, all I can see is the amount of time/patience it takes to get that scroll just right. He's meticulous.

BostonJazz72 likes this.
  10. A FB friend of mine just received a Hilton 32" 4 string and He's a GHS endorse(endorser?) and he lives in Cali. you must know him without mentioning his name( I don't know if he'd appreciate it)..very nice bass BTW...yours and his.

11. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Haha yes, I know who you're referring to, as he's a good friend of mine as well.

Fun fact: Pete made both of our basses at the same time and we asked that he "link" them together as sister basses. So, he did with the wood selection.

rekesbass likes this.
  12. I "met" him through the Primus Sucks group on FB..we never actually met in real life but we've had many bass related conversations..he seems like a really cool and down to earth guy..both of your basses are really nice btw..it's funny how the interwebs make the world just a bit smaller..lol