NBD: Hippie Refin Japan Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wraub, Nov 10, 2011.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    f1fv36.jpg

I actually got this a few weeks ago, but had some photo host issues.

1983, MIJ, simply killer. Ash body, rosewood/maple neck. Sounds awesome, very beefy! Badass bridge, Hipshot Dtuner, Schaller Straploks. Cig burn on headstock. Traded a guitar for it that I had a hundred bucks into. I think I did ok.
    It's my first "hippie refin", pretty sure the original color was black. AFAIK, Squier did make not make a natural finish in this period.
    It's also my first Pbass. Been looking forever for a good one I could afford, this one found me.

Original PG was white, swapped for the current one, might get a tort guard, or make a control plate and rock the bass (mostly) naked. No additional routs or holes on the surface, except for a couple of holes where a thumbrest was placed. We will patch those, I think. Currently waiting on a set of Chromes.

Makes a nice pairing with my 84 MIJ Squier Jazz. ;)
    dob0yb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by...

wraub

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    sexy, dude. love that natural wood tone it's got.

think it looks good as is, but 'roundabout these here parts it seems like you better have a tort guard and some flats on it, or else.

3. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    Can you please explain your application of the word 'hippie' to your bass re-furb?.....
    I wasn't aware that 'hippies' , as a cultural phenomenon, were associated with any facet of woodworking...
    I don't get it , on ANY level .....

4. I dig that P - I'd like to own either a natural or a 'burst bass some day.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    An early Squier ("SQ" serial # I presume)are darn good basses, you definately did good on that one!!

6. Natural finished guitars and basses, particularly ones that were originally refinished from a solid paint or a sunburst have been tagged as hippie refins as long as I can remember and I'm 51.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Those are great basses...cool to see one naked.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Pretty sure I have settled on the black guard for now, but a set of Chromes is on the way.
    I hope that will assuage the horde. :)

Thanks!

wraub

9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Yep, the P and the J are both SQ serial #s.
    I paid $75 for the J. :D

Thanks!

wraub

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    nice looking jazz, i would have bought it.
    truss rod in the heel? guessing early mid 80s?

11. these are great basses! ive got a sunburst one. they really benefit from a pickup swap to something like a fender original or duncan spb-1. both are pretty cheap and great sounding pickups with more beef than the stock pickup thats in these.

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Good job. Truss in the heel, dates to ~84.

On top of the price, it was a 10 min walk from my house.

Thanks!

wraub

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Beforehand, I would have probably preferred a burst as well, but I have always dug the natural thing, and this one has definitely grown on me. I guess I'll have to keep it. :)

Pretty sure the PUs original, but maybe not. This one is definitely pretty beefy already.

Thanks!

wraub

14. I rather play a SQ squier then almost any fender, some of thee best FMIC basses IMO

15. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    I just stumbled into an SQ Squier p bass as well, and its my favorite bass now. Mine is dated 11-83 in pencil on the heel of the neck. I understand that some JV parts from the previous year filtered into these 83's, which make them pretty special finds. My pickups are also great, and I actually prefer them to the '62 RI pups on my other p. Mine is very light(8.0!) and the neck is the best I've played. Congrats!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    f1fv36.jpg Pbassrefin-2.jpg

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree and have two an 83' SQ P which is all original and a 84' SQ bullet, again all original. I disagree witht he other TBer saying to swap the SQ P pups. They sound as good if not better than my 70's grey backs I owned and my 62 RI's in my MIM P bass..those SQ pups are gold IMO. Even the mustang type pups in the Bullet are beefy and deep.
    I'm looking for another SQ or JV and I dont miss my 70's MIA P bass at all since I have these basses.

18. its not like jv serial instruments were made in a single year. they extend into 84. the domestic japanese instruments (both fender and squier series) had jv serial numbers. the sq's were just the us serials used.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I expected to see something colorful, resembling tie die perhaps or some painted flowers. Maybe "hippie" means something else where you're from?

20. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    My sentiments exactly. This may be called a hippie bass where he is from but it would need a lot of decoration to be called a hippie bass where I'm from. And I am nearly 60 which makes me still a bit too young to have been an actual hippie. A hippie's little brother at best!

Ken

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021