1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Hofner Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wes K, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Wes K

Wes K

Apr 30, 2011
    Louisville KY
    I just got this German made Hofner 500/1 Vintage 62. I really like it. It sounds so different from my other basses, which are more in the Fender style. Got a great deal on it as well. It has flats on it now, but I'm considering putting tape-wounds on, as I have with most of my other instruments. I'd be curious as to what strings others like for violin basses (I'm sure that information is on here already).

Attached Files:

mikeyjm2, ExaltBass, kobass and 6 others like this.
  2. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Congrats! They are beauties! Tried LaBella tapewounds but preferred the flats but it is all subjective and you may love them. Easy enough to change back!

Wes K likes this.
  3. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    Hofner makes their own flats, they sound right on their basses.

Fergie Fulton and Wes K like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Matt R., Oberst and Wes K like this.
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    LaBella Deep Talking 760FHB2 39-96 flatwounds is what I’ve been using on my 500/1 for the past 11 years.

TD

edencab likes this.
  6. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Same here. Would buy Hofner strings but they seem to be unicorns.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the ax looks fun --- with any string set! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

RobertUI likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Tapewound Rogue. I have tape wounds on this one, but it's not a Hofner. It's an early '90s Korean Rogue VB-100. I'm using medium scale Rotosound Tru Bass 88 tapes on it. I really like the feel of them, and the way they sound. However...
    I've been told that these will not work on a Hofner, as they won't fit on the Hofner's guitar style tuners (the Rogue has regular bass-style tuners). I don't know that for sure, but I'll take them at their word.. La Bella does make a set of "Beatle Bass" tape wounds that will fit, but I have no experience with them.
    I have several basses with floating bridges, and others (like Danelectros) with barely- adjustable ones. I've found that these basses can be very picky about their strings; if they like them, you'll have no trouble tuning/intonating them. If they don't? They'll fight you tooth and nail, and you may never get them to tune up, much less intonate... As you can see, on my VB-100 the Rotos just went on, and tuned right up. Intonated perfectly, too, without having to angle the bridge or pry the little saddles out and move them around. As you might imagine, my string search ended right there, and that's what the Rogue's worn ever since. Try the LaBellas, if you want tapes, and see how they work on your Hofner. I hope they work for you, but, as I said; these basses are picky about strings. If you're not willing to stay with stock strings? Be prepared to fight with the bridge...:whistle:

fermata likes this.
  9. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Mine's a Rogue VB100 equipped with Labella flats. Had a pro install/ roge-beatl-bass_unbxed. setup and they sound nicely woody and thumpy as a Beatle bass should.

Wes K and Gilmourisgod like this.
  10. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Still have the Pyramid flats on my 500/1 V63 that the (talented and good-looking) previous owner (and Tber) had on it. They sound great.

Wes K and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Hofner use Pyramid Strings, German made again, on all the stock basses they isse with flats.
    Pyramid Gold Flats are the recommended option, and trust me they are great.
    I used them on a number of basses when i shot some videos of Hofner in the past

PYRAMID GOLD Strings for Guitar, Bass, & Mandolin

Wes K likes this.
  12. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    Labella deep talkin’ flats on my ignition and CT.

Wes K and Gilmourisgod like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you go with tapes, I would go with Rotosounds. If it were me, I'd keep the flats on it, but I dig that some like tapes.

Wes K likes this.
  14. Hofner Violin Bass Strings:

North Coast Music - The American Home of the British Music Invasion!
    (Click on the HOFNER tab and scroll down to 'Strings', they have the Hofner OEM's and the LaB's)

The Hofners are another one of those basses that sound great . . . . . with somebody else under the strap, I never had any luck with them, like Rickenbackers. I think they just don't like me.

I am certain of one thing: That Paul could re-write what a bass player could do on one of those little spruce-top toys is all the proof I need that he was brilliant.

Wes K and Williethump like this.
  15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    FYI to the OP, Hofner brand of bass and guitar strings are made by Pyramid. Hofner don't make strings they just OEM them.

TD

Wes K likes this.