1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!! Hofner Hct-500/5-sb Limited Edition 'Stu Sutcliffe'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avalon, Aug 28, 2010.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Absolutely gorgeous ! :bassist:

2. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    3 & 1/2" edge to edge. There's no doubt that it must be maid in China or Indonesia. It does have little flaws here and there. For instance on the one photo above you may notice a bit of excess glue on the perloid plate on the back of the neck joint. Inside the body, there is no Hofner authenticity certificate and I can not find a serial number anywhere.

3. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    +1 on JimmyM's answer.

Let me add that this is my only experience with a Hofner so I am still getting used to the "unique" switch layout. The other two switches appear to be the on-off switches for the pickups while the two volume knobs just control volume for each pick up. I think there are actually some switch combinations that seem to cause the volume knobs to cancel each other out. In those configurations the guitar actually gets louder when I turn the volume knob down. Does this indicate that they are wired in series? It's a first for me.

It was definitely a sentimental purchase. I had a chance to buy a Godin A4 fretless and went for the Hofner instead. But what grabbed me was the neck. From the zero fret to the mid-point of the rosewood bridge it is exactly 30" and I find the short scale to be quite comfortable. My Dean Stylist has a 32" neck and my Ibanez is 34, so the Hofner has the easier reach.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the pickups are wired in parallel. when they're both on,it will slightly drop in volume due to phase cancellation. it has an on/off and a volume control for each pickup. the third switch switches in a capacitor to run it either bright or dark (lead/rhythm)

5. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
  6. I have been away from the site for a few days but came back this morning to see if there was new developement in the Stu Sutcliffe Hofner thread. ( That bass is all I have been able to think about since I saw it). This is major developement.
    Is a hard shell case available?
    I`m selling my Epiphone Jack Casady to get one! Thanks & take care. Bob

7. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    These are part of the Contemporary series, which are made in the Far East (except for the pickups), rather than Germany. The control panel with the black knobs are standard on any Hofner Contemporary bass although it's easy to switch out the knobs to teacups and paint the switches. The pickups on all the Contemporary series are German made. The serial number would be in the cavity that the control panel is in, but it should also be on the small booklet that should have come with the bass.

8. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey Robert, I knew you'd be coming by soon. I was almost freaking while I was waiting to get back to that store. I felt so much better once I had this one home. It was kind of like landing a fish...

The pickups are German? Great info Jblock! I'm going to take a look under the hood then. Unfortunately there was no booklet or case available at this dealership. :meh: Maybe I should go back and see if there was some booklet? They did have other CT Hofners and most of them went quick - both the Violins and the Clubs. I was ever-so-lucky that this was still there when I went back.

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Wow, that's way cool. I wonder if it's a pre-production prototype or something. I'm a big Hofner fan and haven't heard a peep about this. Did the store have any insight? They are Hofner dealers, right? I wonder if Hofner will be making cases for it (As I'm always searching for a case for my Hofner Senator).

10. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Dang! I got the mods attention. Now I know it's a score! :smug:
    Thanks MM.

11. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Yes, it should have come with a small booklet, usually hanging off a tuning key.

There were some pictures on Hofner's Facebook page of upcoming basses but nothing on their website so they just start showing up. The Vintage 64 500/1 violin bass is starting to appear as well.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very cool & beautiful bass!

13. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey Corinpills, this was Alto Music in Middletown, NY - just a hop and a skip from Orange County Choppers - but they also have a place down in Manhattan where they take people by appointment only. It may be that their NY shop pushes stock up to Middletown.

They have a lot of young guys working the Middletown store and they all seem to be mainline Fender or Gibson followers - that's just my perception. Whoever's managing the operation down in the city may the one with the connections.

14. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Thanks! It's already got it's own swing thing mounted on the wall!

15. diamond

diamond

Mar 17, 2010
    drool and more drooling. just fantastic enjoy! where did you buy it? thanks.

16. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow, this is spreading like wildfire. Just saw someone posting this thread on the Hofner Facebook site and also noticed this picture... those look like some German made models to me.

"Thomas Jordan, Hofner Sales Manager with Klaus Voormann. Checking new & old basses. -- From the album:
    Prototypes, R&D and coming soon by Hofner Guitars"
    [​IMG]

17. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That was me on Facebook. You have me really curious. It's pretty unusual that you'd have a bass that there is absolutely no information about online. It's kind of blowing my mind a little bit.

Have you got a good set of flatwounds on that beast yet?

18. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I really have not spent much quality time with it yet. The last few weekends of the summer, etc... work is crazy, the commute is a killer, cats in the cradle and the silver spoon and yada, yada. I was also looking for more information on-line here - go figure.

Fortunately we have the long weekend coming up.

That picture above has me thinking that they may have more going on with the /5-sb. Perhaps they are wetting a few appatites with a limited CT release followed by a German release with the cream colored knobs, etc..?

19. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Just took the panel off and had a look. No serial numbers.
    I'm going to contact Hofner USA and see if there is any further info to be had.

20. Having owned two Contemporary Hofners as well as a German one I can say with experience please reconsider making that sale. All of the JC Epiphones I have played are way nice than the Contemporary line of Hofner. Those are nice but not as nice as the JC.