1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!! Hofner Hct-500/5-sb Limited Edition 'Stu Sutcliffe'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avalon, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Alien, it`s not like I`m not trying to resist the impulse. I have already emailed the store in Middleton to make arrangements leading to purchase. Perhaps I will come to myself & abort this mission but I`m not holding my breath until I do. Two things I like about the Hofner over the JC are weight & scale, mostly weight. The JC hurts my shoulder after awhile ( I`m 67 & arthritic ). I like it but have been wanting a short scale archtop anyway. The Hofner strongly pulls me in that direction. Thanks & take care. Bob

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that jc bass is one of the heaviest semi-hollowbodies i've ever played. i agree...give me the hofner any day.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Looks like you have the only one of those, my friend. This is the em I received this morning from Hofner:

This is the prototype of the new HCT-500/5-SB bass that was sent to the American Distributor CMI. There will be a case when the model is launched officially in 2011 at either NAMM or the Frankfurt Musik Messe.

Regards

Graham Stockley
    Guitar Product Manager

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    WOW! What luck! That bass is truly beautiful. :bassist:

5. I received a reply from Phil Keller at Alto music in Middletown NY
    "Bob, i just found out the stu sutcliff bass is backordered until next
    year sometime!." So looks as if I`ll likely be over this by the time it does come available again, Close call! Take care. Bob

6. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    :eek: *** sound of body hits the floor ***

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  8. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    *** recovers *** :confused:

I let that bass sit at that store for about two weeks from the day I first saw it. In that time, most of the other Hofners were moved off the shelves. When I went back on Saturday morning, I plugged it into one of their amps. I almost didn't buy it because the pick ups were so low. The first salesman I talked to thought it was defective and kind of blew me off. So I found someone more helpful and we figured out the switch arrangement. It still sounded too low, but I figured that could be remedied later if necessary.

Well, I got it home and plugged into my little Marshall MB-30 and it sounds -- sweet as hell -- the amps at the store just weren't very good. Those were the "trial" amps, so there may be good reason.

9. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    One more note on this. I wrote to the Hofner folks and asked a few questions.

My message:
    Gents,
    I just purchased one of the prototypes of the Stu Sutcliffe and I am absolutely loving it. I bought mine in NY and was wondering about a few basic facts of this instrument.

* Where were these manufactured?

* How many of these prototypes were made and how many were sent to the US?

* Do the prototypes come with any printed materials such as an owner's manual?

Hofner's reply:
    Hi
    Thanks for the email

Yes, made in Asia and one of 8 made-4 in the USA

We do not have any more-but maybe the other 3 are at the shops still?

No printed as proto

Thanks,
    Rob Olsen
    General Manager - Hofner North America
    1-888-942-2642 toll free
    262-564-0023
    262-564-0025 FAX
    rob.olsen@hofner.com

10. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Is this bass hollowbody, or does it have a wood block downe the center?

Nice bass. I want one!

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    It does have the center block. I understand that this is essentially the standard with Hofner's CT models.

12. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Sounds like a very cool bass! I hope we see full production this year. Enjoy that bass! I will get one someday.

13. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
  14. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    Avalon, how did you end up resolving the volume problem?
    I played one a few weeks ago and noticed also that when both pickups were on the volume dropped substantially, yet choosing a single pickup sounded fine. Also, heard from a dealer that buyers have been complaining about this and that Hofner might reconsider the electronics. Appearently the controls DO NOT work the same as standard Hofner bass controls. The body is too thick to be a "Stu Bass" copy but it played and looked great!!! As did the new CT Verythin bass.

15. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I have not as yet. Some months ago I went out and purchased a little Weller soldering iron, but I still have to make the time for this little project.

I'm pretty sure that the pickups are wired out of phase, so I plan to switch the wiring around on the panel terminations. Since there are four wires coming from each pick up, there should be two coils in each bar. When I sat down and figured it all out I concluded that the coils of each pick up are wired in series, but the two pickups are wired in parallel and out of phase with each other.

There is not a lot of slack in the wiring, so getting the panel out to work on it in a steady position creates a bit of a challenge.

For all intents and purposes, this is really an acoustic bass. The centerblock must have some affect on the tone, but I have no objective means to know what difference it makes. That being the case, I practice on it unplugged most of the time. I've always said that I'm not in a hurry, but I do want to get the volume thing resolved eventually.

16. DavyR

DavyR

May 29, 2011
    So, the wiring is different than a standard Hofner bass. I believe that the original late 1950s models were also.

johnk 10,
    I missed your post above. The volume drop was GREAT with both pickups engaged! As in, I thought something was very wrong with the bass and didn't by one.

Avalon,
    The substantial volume drop with both pickups engaged makes more sense if the pickups are wired in parallel and out of phase. The ohms drops and therefore the volume drops? And, out of phase to prevent 'hum'. I also imagine that the pickups were wired with double coils to prevent 'hum' when only one was engaged. With both pickups engaged maybe only one coil of each pickup is engaged? What doesn't make sense is, are the coils in each pickup in series or parallel???

I need a refresher course in pickup wiring! LOL! A wiring diagram would help!

17. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Well, each pick up has four leads. On each one, two of the leads are spliced together. Therefore the coils of each pick up are in series. I think they are also in phase unto themselves. Is it even possible to have the two coils of a humbucker wired in series and also be out of phase? I knew the answer to that once before, but I don't recall it now. It must be possible, right? When I was researching mine, I concluded that the individual humbuckers were in series and in phase unto themselves and in parallel, out of phase to each other.

Some of your speculation on why this was done (was it a screw up or is this really intentional) has also caused me to linger on the issue. I don't have feedback issues with it now, but I wouldn't foresee having feedback simply because I rewire them to be "in-phase".

I'm not a gigging pro of any sort and these are not investment grade instruments, so I'll prolly just go ahead and take the plunge - eventually. I can always change it back.

18. Just a quick note about the solo/rhythm switch. It's not a true boost switch, since Hofners are passive instruments. It's actually a cut switch, wired to a resistor. The solo side is the instrument's true sound, and the rhythm sound is the signal attenuated by the resistor, hence the slightly softer sound when clicking the switch to the rhythm side.

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    That is correct.