NBD: Homer T Primal '59

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JKos, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Hello,
    Well, well, my first new bass in about 15 years. I've been "passively" looking for a new bass for about three years. Going into various music stores including while on business travel and trying what they had. Figuring out what I like and don't like as much. But never pulled the trigger on anything.

On Christmas day, I opened a box from my awesome wife that had a note in it that said, "Good for one bass guitar of your choice!" Now, I'm not sure she knew what she was getting herself into with a statement like that... But I didn't take it too far. I don't think, anyways.

So on Wednesday, I checked the local stores websites one more time just to see what they had listed and one particular bass caught my eye: a Homer T Primal '59 in black with a maple fretboard. It's a P-bass with nitro finish, lightly relic'd, and only 7 lbs 10 oz. I hadn't even heard of Homer T Guitar Co. before seeing this bass and one other of this brand on the local store's website.

Turns out they are built right where I live in Redondo Beach, CA. And the store that sells them is who builds them. I left the house with a list of four stores to hit. This store was first on the list.

I walked in and saw five Homer T basses on the wall. And there was THE ONE just like the pictures only better in real-life. It was calling me like the leg lamp on A Christmas Story! I took it off the wall and noticed the weight and balance just seemed so nice. The neck felt like it was made just for me. The fret work was absolutely superb. It felt like an old friend. Like I was supposed to have this bass.

I sat down to play it. Acoustically at first which I always do. I knew from the first notes that this was the real deal. I noodled around and it played like not butter but melted butter. The bass resonated beautifully and notes were so even across the stings and up and down the neck. Hammer-ons and pull-offs were effortless. Of all the bases I had touched and played over the years, this one just had "it."

Then I plugged it in and, well, what do you know, it sounded like a P-bass. A darn good P-bass! What I heard through the amp confirmed what I had heard acoustically. Even response everywhere on the fretboard, great sustain, awesome tone. Just so nice.

And, so, the Homer T Primal '59 serial number 17 became mine. Below are some pics for you used with permission from Homer T Guitar Co. They took much better pics than I can.

Later,
    John

PS. I did play four of the five Homer T basses on the wall (the fifth was a fretless and had a deposit down on it so I didn't go there). They were all the real deal, quality instruments.

s761892188598333138_p122_i5_w1200.jpg s761892188598333138_p122_i2_w2560.jpg s761892188598333138_p122_i1_w2560.jpg s761892188598333138_p122_i3_w1043.jpg

Here are some specs for you.
    Body: Ash
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Maple with black dots
    Finish: Nitrocellulose (body and neck)
    Neck Shape: Fast "C", (0.80" @ 1st, 1.00" @ 12th)
    Nut: Antique Bone 1.50"
    Heel Width: 2-3/16"
    Radius: 7.25"
    Scale: 34"
    Frets: 20, 6105 (.090" x .055")
    Hardware: Chrome
    Tuners: Traditional Clover Shape
    Pickups: Lollar Split-Coil
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Strings: 60-80-100-115
    Tuning: B-E-A-D
    Pots: CTS
    Bridge: Vintage Style Bridge
    Weight: 7 lbs. 10 oz.

Paco Leon, Outshined91, cdef and 8 others like this.
  2. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Congrats!!!!

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Did it cost a lot of DOH!? :D

4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Beauty! What strings are on it? Judging by the specs (Strings: 60-80-100-115) I'd guess some heavy flats. Do you plan to leave them or change them?

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi John :)

Nice story :thumbsup:

Time to take her out for a candle light dinner :D

...or maybe cook something for her? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

hot buttered noodles.jpg

Happy NBD :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise(b)ass

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

great score! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

7. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Hey Guys,
    You funny. Considering my list of basses under consideration ranged from $179 to $2,500... I ended up somewhere in between. Compared to Fenders at the same price point that I've been trying, it feels more organic and resonant.

It came with good ol' Fender 7250 rounds. Notice it is tuned BEAD. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it that way or not. I'm not use to a four string being BEAD but I'm trying it out. They offered to restring and tweak it for EADG if I want at some point. I will try some other strings eventually, but one thing at a time for now.

Hehe, yeah, we're good. ;)

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Hey Everyone,
    Just thought I'd make a quick post that after two years the Homer T '59 Primal is still amazing to me. My #1, period!

Still tuned BEAD with Sadowsky Blue Label Bright Nickel 60-80-100-125T.

Later,
    John

Dec1975 likes this.
  9. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Interesting specs, actually. I was contemplating doing something like that to one of my P basses. How does it sound? Looks cool.

10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    It's been three years and a couple days since I bought the Homer T Primal '59. It has been my #1 since the day I bought it. I'm still just so enamored with it when I play.

What's changed in the last three years? I kept it BEAD until earlier last year when I put TI flats in EADG on it. Wow! I did end up moving the bridge back about 0.3" to get the silks off the saddles.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022