1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: I have issues....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamvan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    So this is iteration No.4 of my fretless Jazz bass. It started life as a Squier VM Fretless Jazz which I replaced all the electronics, bridge, pickups, and eventually the neck with a blocked rosewood fretted neck leaving me with just the fretless neck lying around, gathering dust. I then picked up a Squier James Johnston Jazz body here in the TB classifieds which ultimately turned into a full Squier James Johnston Jazz when I, again, replaced the fretless neck with an actual JJ Jazz neck with matching headstock leaving the fretless lying on my workbench. I then picked up another Squier VM Fretless Jazz body in the TB classifieds, replaced all the electronics, bridge, pickups, etc. only to, yet again, ultimately replace the neck with a maple blocked and bound neck. Which brings me to the most recent version:

I picked up another Squier VM Jazz 70's soft maple natural body in the classifieds. Replaced all the electronics with CTS pots, cloth wire, orange drop and a set of Geddy Lee pickups (say what?!) that I picked up here in the classifieds as well.

As it started to come together, I decided that this one is just begging to be de-chromed (a la Scott Devine's Jazz) so I added a black aluminum Hipshot Style A bridge, and a set of Hipshot black tuners (TB classifieds) and black string tree along with black Dunlop Dual Locking strap locks. I ended up just scuffing the chrome control plate and painting it myself but I'll likely end up swapping it out with an actual black plate. Anyway, without further adieu, here she is followed closely by what the previous attempts at building out a fretless Frankenjazz turned into.

FullSizeRender 13.

My gigging Nos. 1 & 2 - Set up identical with the rosewood having D'addario NYXLs and the maple having Chromes. Babicz Bridge, Fender Super 55s pickups, CTS pots and output, Orange Drop.
    FullSizeRender.

Squier James Johnston Jazz that is almost completely stock except for the alternate tort-like pickguard and the cheezy pearloid neck block decals. This is a wall decoration right now that I'm likely going to sell. Great player but not better than my No.2 above.
    FullSizeRender 14.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Tbone76, dabbler, Mosstone and 2 others like this.
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Wowza! I'm usually not one for natural wood finish basses, but this one seems to have equal parts wood & color (if black is considered a color here.) Those black tuners & lack of dots on the neck really make a big difference in the contrast of it all! Love it!!

Jamvan likes this.
  3. dragon2knight

dragon2knight Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    That last Squier is making me drooldrooldrooldrool
    I love the color, and, cheesy pearl blocks and all, I think it's awesome :thumbsup:

Jamvan likes this.
  4. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thank you, @catcauphonic. When I started assembling it, the black pickguard along with the ebonol neck pushed me to black-out all the components and I really like the stealthy look to it.

Not to completely tantalize you but since that picture was taken above, I've added cream covers to the pickups too!

FullSizeRender 9.

dragon2knight and Tbone76 like this.
  5. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    And just like that, I've sold the James Johnston Jazz. It's a Craigslist deal so if you notice I stop posting on here after Friday, you'll know why....:dead:

6. Nice bass! I have the stock vm fretless and it's a great bass just a quick question on it...can you feel the fret inlay lines? And if so do your strings buzz as a result like fret buzz Especially when playing closer to the neck?

7. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yeah. It's one of the reasons I kept replacing the neck. I picked up a file over the weekend and carefully filed the troublesome lines down and it made a significant improvement in it. I made a post about it the other day.

Squier VM Fretless raised fretlines

brendanbassix likes this.
  8. Thank for that going to to ask a few questions on that thread :)