1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Ibanez ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instrumentalist, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Here's my new acoustic Ibanez PCBE12MH-OPN. She is flawless, and plays beautifully.

I thought the stock pickguard rather dull, (see the first photo) so I put on a new one that errs on the other side. :D
    IMG_20190426_113818. IMG_20190426_130732. IMG_20190426_130812. 15562779367821066966245.

2. My purpose is to play it alone, so I"m not worrying whether it's loud enough to compete with acoustic guitars etc.

Playing all by myself without firing up an amp first. Sheer enjoyment. :bassist:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    FloridaTim, chadds, B-Mac and 4 others like this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    stock strings are black? or those are replacements?

4. They are the stock roundwounds. "Ibanez IABS4XC32 Carbon coated" according to the Ibanez website.
    I think the black colour is rather cool.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    LoveJackBruce, S-Bigbottom and Aidil like this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I wonder what's inside the coating, is it phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze like most other standard acoustic strings, or just pure nickel/nickel plated steels like most electric bass strings (and doubt they are stainless steels underneath the coating).

How's the sound? Maybe the sound could tell us what kind of materials they used for the strings (inside the carbon coating).

6. A quick internet search with "IABS4XC32" tells me:
    - steel core
    - 80/20 bronze winding
    - carbon X coating

But I'm not versed in these things and it all means little to me.

By the way, I wondered about "Jkt, IDN". Is it Jakarta, Indonesia?

7. As for the sound, I feel it is essentially a melody instrument. Warm, dark, melodious.

B-Mac and LoveJackBruce like this.
  8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    A beauty. Enjoy.

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The reason I asked cause there were quite a lot of posts mentioning dislike on the bronze strings, especially on an ABG, which mostly were hatred in the way they easily make squeaky noise on finger slides. On the contrary, I always use acoustic strings on my ABG, an Ibanez too, the model is EWB205WNE from 4~5 years back. It came with D'addario EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze strings which I used for about a year and a half.

Problem with bronze strings for me is purely an aesthetic thing. Cause in time, bronze strings would get oxidized, with some area of the strings became darken than the others. Probably due to heavier oxidation happening on those areas, which then overall they became like dirty strings, not so pleasant to look at, though they may still sound good.

I swapped them with Elixir 80/20 Bronze w/ Nanoweb Coating which lasted longer, more than two and a half years. The problem with Elixir coating is that they would start flaking on heavy usages. A problem that I have never experienced with using Elixirs on some of my electric (solid body) basses. They actually still felt sleek to touch and were still quite loud. But like the stock D'addario strings, the flaking on the Elixirs also made them kinda not so pleasant to look at, plus the oxidation process also had taken place, thus it was time for me to take them off and replace them with new strings.

Currently, I've just put on GHS Pressurewound Bronze strings on my ABG, which feel quite similar to Elixir in term of their sleekness on fingertips. Not because of any coatings, but they said, due to the pressurization process on the outer wrapping materials, which made them slightly oval shaped.

So basically, I prefer to use "proper" acoustic (bronze) strings on my ABG. Not any other strings which we usually put on electric basses. Bronze strings can make my ABG quite loud when used just as it is (unplugged). And I also want my ABG to sound just like an acoustic (bass) guitar. I don't want it to sound the same as my electric (solid body) basses.

And yeah, if you clicked on the "Jkt, IDN", google map should appear and show you the Jakarta, Indonesia map.

10. Yes, I've heard elsewhere that if you want your ABG to sound loud without amplification, phosphor bronze strings are the way to go. I intend to experiment with strings, but not just yet.

11. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    I may get one for Christmas. Miss having an Acoustic Bass. Looking at the Open Pore for $249 at Sweetwater.

SBassman and instrumentalist like this.
  12. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    I love the black strings. Look awesome

13. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

@wintremute introduced me to GHS Pressure Wound Bronze strings and I’m enjoying them on one of my ABG’s

wintremute and Aidil like this.
  14. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

15. 32"

B-Mac likes this.
  16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ibanez' open pore designs are very nice. Mega value at that price.

17. I tried phosphor bronze strings (Fender 8060, 45-100) but the sound didn't appeal to me. Now I have nickelwounds (Dunlop Super Bright, 45-105) which are very good for the acoustic "living room" setting I use this bass for.

18. To emphasize this quality I ended up tuning the bass a fourth higher. So it's tuned to A standard.

Strings are 30-45-65-85.