1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Ibanez Roadstar II RB630

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RawOrange, Jul 23, 2012.

1. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Just got this beauty from fenderhutz.
    It's a great bass. It is super aggressive if you dig in, but cleans up beautifully if you do not.
    It is from 1983, and apparently these were made in the Fujigen Gakki factory that was making Fenders at that time. It definitely has the quality to back that up.
    This bass is going to be living with me for quite some time!

IMG_1838a.

RoadstarEDIT.

102-Copy.

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I had a RB960 from 1986 and it was better than everything I had in that price range.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've had a few of these, they're awesome P-basses(the P/J's are great too). Solid, reliable, strong tone and usually not much more than 8lbs. These are hard to beat, plus cool tuners and strap hooks...and those original knobs have traction for days!!

4. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Because of basses like this I have a huge respect for 80's japanese basses in general

5. Nice score. Looks really clean for it's age.

6. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Looks familiar! I have a 1983 Roadstar II RB650. Love this bass and will never give it up.

Shaun

Attached Files:

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on your new bass. I have the same in black and it is a great bass full of mij goodness!

8. jlh60

jlh60

Aug 21, 2009
    Warren ,Mi
    Beautiful bass, I bought one new in the late 80's. Always got compliments on how it sounded. I wish I hadn't traded it. I bought one on ebay this year and wish I had passed it up. I didn't find out until months after I bought it that the truss rod is broke.

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :bawl:I want one....

Great score!

As far as a broken truss rod, I often bump into Ibanez bass necks on eBay, sometimes for a great price. By the way, HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN??????? I mean, I could see snapping a neck.... but what the heck happened to the body lol..

Great bass, hope you enjoy for many years to come :bassist:

10. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Nice!

I used to have a couple. Probably one of the basses I regretted selling.

11. This is one of the basses I keep watch for in case someone is selling one cheap...

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Glad you like it sir. It is a keeper. I am selling off most my stuff for the tax man and medical bills minus what I absolutely have to keep to play the cover gigs. Enjoy. :)

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    And yes. I have owned 3-4 Roadstars and Blazers from this era and this one was in the best shape of them all. The gold on the Ibanez logo was bright and looked great, also paint still had a sheen to it.

14. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    It sure is pretty, someone took awful good shape of it.
    I love the sound too, it appears to have a Dimarzio lookalike pickup, and they sing.

15. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

This is my Ibanez Roadstar ll RB630.

inbanezfront.

I don't even remember if I bought this new or used, or where I got it from, but must have bought it in the early 80's after I (regrettably) got rid of my Ric 4001. I was playing guitar and Fender Rhodes in a band and needed to thin down the herd.

Anyway, I picked this up when I started playing bass in another band because it was "cheap", and played fairly well. I think I'm pretty close to maxed out with the truss bar these days, but it still plays well. I have rotosounds on it, and it has a very nice growl, to this day.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I used to have this exact bass, minus the knobs and the straplocks (the old v shaped strap buttons were pretty awesome).

17. sninja

sninja

May 21, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    I've bought this puppy yesturday for something like 120 in $.
    Solid funk-machine! I can get a very much like Pbass tone of it.
    If selling for 200 and lower, it couldn't be beaten!

18. Congrats! I had a white PJ model and it was a wonderful bass. Enjoy that beauty.

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I still have 2 RB650's (the P/J version) a 1984 White/Maple and a 1986 Black/Rosewood.

I have managed to keep them in 8/10 condition, the Black might be 8.5-9. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

20. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Lucky dog! I had the exact same bass purchased new in 83. To date, the only bass I've owned that I should have never let go of. Funny thing is mine had the exact same small dent in the headstock as yours. Someday I will have another!