NBD: Ibanez SR1200L VNF 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Aug 22, 2020.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Greetings, TB'ers. I recently received my Ibanez SR1200L VNF from London. Cost a pretty penny to get here and took 6 weeks! When the package arrived it was very well packed and covered in duct tape every inch of the box! Upon taking out of the nice rectangular semi-solid case, it exuded quality beyond my SR300L and SR500L. The body is multi-layered and the neck five piece. Norstrand Big Single pickups and an Ibanez Special active system. This model is called "The Premium" for good reason. All the components look and feel premium.

I had to tweak the bass a bit as I string my basses upside down. I cranked the bridge as far as I could and now intonation is fine. The strings get right down to the neck and the bass plays easily. The neck is denser and more sturdy than the SR lower end models and the headstock thicker. I had to turn the 4mm truss rod a quarter turn and it turned very easily. The tuners move like butter. All gold hardware will look very nice on stage. The controls are high quality and you can feel it when you turn them.

Plugging into my GK MB108, I found a very nice, upfront growly tone characteristic of Nordstrand. What I like about the Nordy's is that I can emulate most sounds -- J, P, or even Ric, using the mid switch and tone controls. I enjoyed the bass so much when I started to play at 10:00 last night I was only going to play an hour. Wife sat up and listened and finally told me to turn it off at 1:00am!

All in all a beautiful bass, it will definitely be an eye catcher on stage. By the way this lefty bass is very hard to find nowadays. People who own them are holding onto them for good reason. If you like the Premium series this is the ticket. Highly recommended for almost all styles.

sr2.jpg sr3.jpg sr4.jpg sr5.jpg sr6.jpg sr7.jpg sr8.jpg sr9.jpg sr10.jpg sr11.jpg sr12.jpg sr13.jpg sr14.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm still loving my bass!

3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Anybody else out there own the Premium SR1200 VNF?

4. fhtagn

fhtagn

Jan 20, 2020
    Finland
    I've got the 5-string version of that, SR1205. It's a really nice bass.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks for the response! Were you happy with the pickups and electronics as they were? I found the only thing I had to change was the string nut because I string a lefty right-handed.

6. fhtagn

fhtagn

Jan 20, 2020
    Finland
    Yeah, it's the typical Ibanez Premium -combo of Nordstrands with Ibanez's own preamp, so no real surprises there. Some people don't like the sound though and tend to opt to swap the pre and/or pickups. Personally I find it very usable. I do play my BTB's more than my SR's though, but that's more a matter of ergonomics than electronics – I'm about 6'3 with large hands.

7. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I own the SR1206, I really like it as it has become the main bass I play, I did get a luthier to replace the nut as I tune it E - F. I was unhappy with his work (way too low and buzzfull) so I redid the job, it was the only time I've ever used a luthier as I usually do my own tweaks.
    I string it with Thomastik Jazz Flats E-C with a D'Addario plain steel for the high F, it sounds great all over the neck, whether you play bass lines, chords or solos.
    20210503_163146.jpg

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Gorgeous bass. I see you have the same oversized Ibanez case I have. Seriously I could pack it like a luggage for a weekend trip it's so big! :laugh:

thabassmon likes this.
  9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    7FCB585E-6791-406F-9E24-2C3E8BDB9F1C.jpeg
    Hey Will, I know you can see this from up there… we miss you

Roxbororob likes this.
  10. Beautiful bass. :thumbsup: