1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Ibanez SR1346B. It's sexy. (6-string content here)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Real Soon, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Recently I've been under stress from a few angles, and I think we all have what with, well, a global pandemic and whatnot. I've been sort of an ogre a couple times on here recently too, and that's not my style. I don't wanna feel like I'm projecting my stress.

So I was thinking, what would make me feel better?

(we all know the answer to that, in the Basses section of the Talkbass forum)

I looked at my ginormous massive BTB7 7-string bass that I couldn't play without hurting my wrist, and took it to Guitar Center and got a decent enough sale that my pocket was burning along with a few pedals I've sold recently. That was a great bass, but I just wasn't man enough (or archetypal-enough of the gender role of your choice, this being 2020 and all) to play it.

Going shopping for a more manageable extended-range bass, I took home a gorgeous Carvin 6 that was in the store, and liked it, but it had major electrical issues, so I had to return it.

What I needed, and that it had:

34" scale (the 35" scale just isn't for me)
    3-band EQ (2-band acceptable)
    16.5mm spacing at the nut
    ~19mm bridge spacing
    Under 10lbs weight (the BTB7 I sold was ~12lbs)
    Big beefy tone (the Carvin was pretty beefy in passive mode...couldn't tell in active)

Weighing my options, I figured Ibanez might have something cool. And they did. And it had literally all the features I needed, and then some I didn't know I wanted. And it's the latest of their million lines that launch and then will be discontinued in two years. And when I "watched" one on Reverb, for sale by Pitbull Audio, they messaged me to offer a pretty damn nice discount...and also their listing featured 0% financing.

It arrived yesterday.

Thumbnails for the unpacking:
    20200925_113616.jpg 20200925_113955.jpg 20200925_114151.jpg 20200925_114322.jpg 20200925_115903.jpg

And in the play space:

20200925_182001.jpg

The Nordstrand Big Singles are quite a departure from the Bartolini MkI pickups in my other Ibanez bass, the SRSC805. Those are useful, very funk-friendly, and dead quiet. These are huge, girthy, good I think for a pile of sounds, and also noisy when I go off the blend pot middle detent. But I don't think I mind that. It's got a bolt-on neck, interestingly, and also bridge saddles with adjustable spacing. Whoa...that's a feature I hear about on basses in the Roscoe & Modulus range. And Gotoh tuners that feel...weighty...demanding some torque but incredibly smooth in use. They're kinda amazing.

And out of the box, the action was looooow. And the relief was nearly flat. And the frets have revealed only one buzz, on the B string up at fret 8. And the intonation is close to perfect. Adding a touch of relief and height to the B string have made both tapping (I'm a n00b at it but it's fun) noiseless and that buzz easier to avoid, and more tuning will do the rest.

The B string somehow feels tighter than the one on the SRSC805 (but they're both D'Addario XL series .130, the same string!), and sounds like part of the set.

This may be my best NBD ever.

LOOK AT THE BB.

BassmanM, CatchaCuda, pravus and 8 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice bass! Cool little multi-tool too! :)

Real Soon likes this.
  3. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The lil multi-tool was such a nice touch haha...I had to break out my hex wrenches to get the knobs adjusted just how I like (since they bend at the right place), but it weighs nothing & can live in the gig bag. Also the gig bag CRUSHES the flimsy things Fender sends with its basses. I still want a Mono but until I save up, this will definitely work :hyper:

4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh! Another thing I needed was 24 frets. I'm one of those weirdos.

The Rocco Prestia signature ESP LTD B-1006 is a sexy sexy bass, and actually was a contender, but I swear there was a version that only had 23 frets. Also they're heavier. I'm 5'8" and 160lbs soaking wet so the weight was a huge factor.

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Getting in some serious time this afternoon with this thing, and I have to say, Ibanez knows how to make a 6-string that balances. It would dive a little bit if I let it, but I don't even need a wide padded strap to keep it comfortably in place.

Not so for the SRSC805.

Another issue the SRSC805 has that the BTB7 didn't and that the new SR1346B doesn't: popping when switching from active to passive or vice versa. If I didn't mute the path, the Cerro would cause an explosion. This thing gives a quiet click even when "charged", and the BTB7 was perfectly silent when switching. This matters especially with this bass, because the single-coil pickups sound fantastic in passive mode, so I actually want to hit the switch at times.

If I really bond with this thing, I might end up sending the 5-string off to a new home....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  6. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Are you referring to the Ibanez or the Carvin here? Because I'm pretty sure the Ibanez has 16.5mm spacing at the bridge, and the Carvin is somewhere in that range also. Spacing at the nut is usually in the 8mm-10mm area.

Real Soon likes this.
  7. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I'd rock that. Congrats. I like the smokey finish.

I have a SR1206 and you are right, they balance well. I just find them really easy to play. Enjoy.

Real Soon likes this.
  8. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That's what I get for posting late at night after some socializing that involved whiskey smh... and yeah, the Carvin was a hot rod too, felt like the same spacing. But the SRSC805 5-string is 18mm. I'm pretty sure that's where I conjured the 19mm from.

Nut spacing, I should just read what's on the web instead of making things up that sounded right at the time. Lol embarrassing

Good catches though, I'd rather have accurate info before anything!

9. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    I just thought the 16.5mm spacing at the nut was kind of funny. That would be a MASSIVE neck!

Real Soon likes this.
  10. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    For when you're heading down the 405 and need a few extra lanes.

Real Soon likes this.
  11. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Update: I know it won't totally ameliorate the hum, but I'm planning to go in and shield the pickup cavities, and of course run wires to the main ground. These pickups grow on me every day.

And somehow the whole bass really responds with a tightness similar to what I liked about the 35" basses I've played, but without the extra travel distance. Is that in my head, or can superior nut & bridge design yield that sensation? The strings are basically identical to what's on my SRSC805, so I should be very familiar with them. Maybe it's pure honeymoon phase.

I did end up adding a little bit of neck relief and raised the B string a touch. It's really able to handle both a light touch and a smidge of punch now, and I'm still impressed it came out of the box with such excellent setup as it was.

Up close, the burst is kind of iridescent, like the feathers on a grackle or raven. And the woodgrain looks animated, it's so bold and sharp.

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Gracias, and I am! My last attempt at extended range was so difficult that I was unsure, but this one is enough of a challenge to make my brain work, but still accessible enough for me to focus on just relaxing and letting the groove, fill riff, or harmony work. I'm loving it.

In Atlanta we have the Connector, 85 and 75 merged, and at one point it's seven lanes on both sides. Insane. But what I've heard about LA, that one's gotta be a city on wheels. The extra lanes come in handy!!

thabassmon likes this.
  13. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    Gorgeous. Loved all my SRs.

Was interesting to read that the Big Singles were "noisey" if moved from center. Can you elaborate?

Real Soon likes this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That IS sexy! :cool:

Real Soon likes this.
  15. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Update: I REALLY like the tone from the Nordstrand Big Singles, and just love having the bass slung on me, and playing it period. And adjusting from this to my Mustang PJ to straight-up P basses etc has been easier than I thought, maybe because each is so different that my muscle memory can keep them compartmentalized. I'm working on some slap exercises with the 6-string, and yeah... it's not easy. But it demands super tight technique, as does anything (stuff like On The Serious Side by Tower of Power is a tour de force of string muting), and that's gonna be good for me.

So, this doesn't happen everywhere and I think it's a relationship between single-coil pickups and the layout of the house's circuitry. Where I live, if I take the blend far enough off the center detent, I get a hum that's a tiny bit flat of the F# at the G-string's 11th fret. Around 180Hz, maybe? But at the house where I've been doing jam sessions recently, I did some knob-turning, and the pickups were silent, noise-wise. Just beautiful solo'd pickup music.

In my apartment, too, I get interference from my PC if I'm too close to it, and on some basses, noise if I have the headstock pointed anywhere besides due north or south. lol it's a doozie here. But I know this phenomenon with single-coil pickups is commonplace, and it's something I can live with since evidently I can record elsewhere if I REALLY need a solo'd pickup on a quiet track, with no noise reduction plugin artifacts.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021