1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Ibanez SR306EB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fiset, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    TL;DR - Unexpected desire for a 6-string results in trading a rarely used fiver for a new sixer.

Wasn't planning on it but ended up with an Ibanez SR306EB 6-string today. I was at our local Alto Music helping my teenage son pick out his first real guitar when I spied the Ibanez 6-string sitting on a music stand next to an Ampeg BA210 combo. So I went over to give it a spin. I've never played a 6-string before but am a fan of Ibanez 5-strings (my SR505 has been my go-to fiver for years). As soon as I picked up the sixer, I knew I would be taking it home. Light and comfortable (like all Ibanez's are to me) and the neck is fast and easy to play. It sounded very similar to my SR505 and while I've never played with a high C-string before, I can see how I can use it, especially in the upper registers. So I wanted it but even though its pretty cheap, I still wasn't planning to drop 4+ bills on a bass today.

Solution? Go home and pick up a Yamaha BB425X fiver I have at home but never use and bring it back to Alto (where I bought it new 3 years ago). I just never took the BB425X, mostly because of the weight. It sounded awesome but was just too heavy for extended use so I hardly ever played it. I was planning to list it in the classifieds at some point but it didn't seem like they were fetching much these days so I've just held on to it. Glad I did since I was able to trade it for the SR306EB. I had to add a few bucks but it was totally worth it as I was able to turn a fiver that was just sitting in a case into something that although I didn't need, will still be cool to play.

And now a few pics:

GkBoHCm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Alik, srayb, Woofer and 3 others like this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Right on, Congrats!

Fiset likes this.
  3. VERY nice.

Congrats on a killer bass.

Enjoy!!!!

Fiset likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

excellent rationalizations! beautiful bass! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Alik and Fiset like this.
  5. Desarus

Desarus

Mar 22, 2013
    Awesome bass! How do you find the tension on the low B? I was considering picking one up but curious about how well it plays/sounds.

Fiset likes this.
  6. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    The tension is very similar to my Ibanez SR505. Its not quite a tight as a Yamaha BB425X but its not so flubby that its distracting or unusable. It sounds nice and full to my ears but I'll record a little something on it tonight and post it here and let you decide. All in all, I think its a killer bass for the price.

Alik likes this.
  7. Desarus

Desarus

Mar 22, 2013
    Ah awesome! I have a Cort B5 Artisan, I know the SR505's are relatively similar which is why i'm so curious! I think the finish on the 306 is outstanding.

8. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    So here's a quick a dirty sound clip I just threw together five minutes ago. This is just the B string on the SR306EB. First thirty seconds is finger style, last 30 seconds is with a pick (I'm not much of a pick player). Signal chain: bass > Keeley Bassist > B7K (set clean) > Ampeg BA210 direct into Pro Tools.