1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD & Initial Review - Sire Marcus Miller V7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eon Sky, Feb 13, 2018.

1. I apologize in advance for what will likely be a lengthy post, but I wanted to go a step above my previous NBD thread and actually do a little talking about my new bass instead of strictly showing it off. Of course, first things first, I should really show it off, right?

Special thanks to all of you out there who advised various people to have their instruments shipped directly to a FedEx store as opposed to having it left on your doorstep, or not left at all, or something to do with ice crampons, I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, got the arrival text at 9:30 this morning, drove over, and returned to the office with a huge box I assured the front desk staff was not a body.
    IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6834.JPG I guess that kind of looks like him???

IMG_6835.JPG The "semi-hard" gig bag is legit. So is the HP 10C financial calculator. Polish Notation FTW.

IMG_6836.JPG Oooh! Major shipping props for the styrofoam around the control knobs. Nice extra safety touch.

IMG_6838.JPG Tobacco burst with tort pickguard. Y'all are rubbing off on me.

IMG_6837.JPG Scope out that backside.

IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG

Gorgeous wood grains on both the body and the neck.

IMG_6848.JPG
    The headstock too!

IMG_6843.JPG
    Bonus goodies from Music Store Live. They're my first ever Reverb purchase, made sure I was super happy with everything, and even set the bass up before shipping. Awesome first time experience dealing with Reverb and will definitely use both it, and Music Store Live again. Not affiliated with them, just wanted to point out a cool shop doing right by a customer.

IMG_6847.jpg
    Why does he always do this (see avatar)?

This post is getting long, so I'll create it and start on the review.

Glazenn, Bassbeater, pbass74 and 18 others like this.
  2. He knows you love the bass/case; that's why he sits on it.
    Cats are great!

3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Very cool man, congrats! Love that color.

Eon Sky likes this.
  4. Okay, the review portion.

First, why Sire?
    I've been working on consolidating my bass collection and moving toward quality over quantity. My first step was selling off a few of my lower priced basses and using the money toward getting some industry standard instruments. The goal is a precision bass (acquired 2012 Fender MIA Standard Precision), a Jazz (Sire Marcus Miller V7), a five string (acquired Ibanez SR305 in obnoxiously awesome orange sparkle), a "modern" bass (acquired G&L L2000 Tribute), a short scale (acquired 1972 Gibson EB-3), and a fretless (to be acquired).

I have heard a large amount of good things about Sire basses, primarily from YouTube and this website. Additionally, this checked off a big want regarding a Jazz style bass - block inlays. Additionally the price/what you get for your money ratio seemed too good to be true and I decided to give it a shot and actually talk about what I've found.

The Review Criteria
    I am by no means a "review expert". What I am is a bass player with 20 years of experience playing. For the purposes of this, I wanted to look at comparing between what this bass brings to the table versus other instruments that I've owned and played at various price and quality points. My main points of comparison are as follows:

My MIA Fender Precision
    My MIK Ibanez SRX400
    My MII Squier Jaguar P/J (not short scale)
    My MII Ibanez SR305 (vomit-inducing orange, as my old guitar player described it)

Disclaimer - None of my comparisons are to disparage any of these other instruments, or your instrument. I've recorded two cds and toured the Pacific Northwest with my Squier Jaguar. Fantastic bass. Quality can be found at any price point and from any region, be it America, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, or China.

Okay, here we go:

Weight
    Very important consideration for a lot of players (I'm headed there myself). So much so that you could have the most stunning bass being offered at a ridiculous price and you would pass on it because it's too heavy.

While I don't have a scale to accurately weigh it, and I won't tread into the murky waters of bathroom scale algebra, I can use my other basses as a reference. It is negligibly heaver than my Fender Precision (which I could owe to body side) and slightly heavier than my Ibanez SRX400. It weighs about the same as my Squier Jaguar.

Some people have expressed concerns about the weight of these basses, especially without getting to try them out first. I find the weight reasonable, comfortable, and in line with other instruments of it's ilk.

Headstock
    Look, I promise it's not as weird looking in person, and it does grow on you.

Finish
    Okay, this is the most impressive part to me. The finish is absolutely as good as everyone says it is. The attention to detail is impeccable, and easily rivals my MIA Precision. Not a whisper of a sharp fret, no fret buzz, no screw left unturned. For comparison to my other made in Indonesia basses, this leaves all of them far behind. Again, this is not a dig on those instruments, but I remember playing my MIA Precision for the first time and noticing a clear improvement in quality. This is on par with that instrument.

Playability
    The neck is smooth and fast. Extremely comfortable. Again, see the MIA Fender. And because it's a Jazz neck (my personal preference) it just feels like home to me. If you're an Ibanez player, imagine the speed and comfort of one of their necks, with the fit and finish of a high end model, and you're there. It is par with any MIA Fender Jazz I've played in numerous stores over the years.

Knobs/Electronics
    Man...did they ever cram a lot of knobs and a switch into a tight area. Not ideal, but I'll get used to it. Most importantly, everything turns smooth without any sort of crackle or popping, which I've experienced with my Squier Jaguar. The controls themselves will take getting used to, but there is a very noticeable difference between passive and active, and the tone options are myriad. Even the housing for the batteries feels solid and sturdy.

Sound
    Lots of knobs and levers to dial a lot of tasty sounds in, but the real test for me was switching it over to passive. Oh yeah, that's a Jazz bass. The pickup output is right in line with my Fender Precision, and far exceeds my expectations.

Final Thoughts
    Seriously, if you're looking for a Jazz bass and you're in the $500 range, you should 100% consider getting a Sire. It truly is the feel, look, sound, and finish of an instrument three times its price. I am extremely happy with this purchase, and I am strongly considering going back to them for my fretless as well. They really are that good.

Enough typing, time to play it some more.

5. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    Nice looking bass! You might find that a Sire could also fil, your fretless needs- I like mine a lot!

puff father and Eon Sky like this.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Great post! First thing I noticed they got wrong however on the box art is that there is no pickup cover on the neck pickup of Marcus' bass!!!! How could they miss that??? :D

Jack Stevenson likes this.
  7. Definitely where I'm leaning at this point!

8. My first thought was "Detective Doakes plays bass?!"
    DoakesS71.png

G RICH 5, filler83, jchrisk1 and 4 others like this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Some nice birdseye figuring on that neck! Sweet! Enjoy it and play the heck out of it!

dabbler and Eon Sky like this.
  10. Yeah, I was really impressed with the wood quality and it is pretty obvious they take their material selection seriously.

bholder likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sweet is definitely the right word! looks lovely. congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Eon Sky likes this.
  12. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, thanks for the review as well. I just may have to get one of these in a 5 string :)

Eon Sky likes this.
  13. Yeah buddy. I think they’re making a stellar product, especially at the price point and worth consideration.

Crusher47 likes this.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Nice looking bass. I've purchased a few things from Music Store Live and have found that they have excellent service.

Glad you like the bass. Enjoy.

DrummerwStrings and Eon Sky like this.
  15. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Congrats guy, beautiful bass. Like the HP 12C also.

Eon Sky likes this.
  16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  17. Great looking bass! Congrats!

Eon Sky likes this.
  18. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Sounds amazing! I might have to reconsider one of those

Eon Sky likes this.
  19. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Congrats on a beauty bass. I have a fretted in white and fretless in the same finish as yours. They are the keepers as my others got sold off. Enjoy

Eon Sky likes this.
  20. Too funny, because I’m thinking of a fretless in white!