1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD IS IT A RIC A RAY OR A THUMB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirMjac28, May 3, 2015.

1. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    A few months ago I purged myself of seven basses I wasn't playing and decided I wanted to get at least one of the basses that have been on my list for years. I've wanted a Ric for a very long time but when it came to buying one I would always get cold feet because even pre-internet they have been described as being very special instruments that either fit you or they don't and unfortunately in my neck of the woods they were pretty much non existent which is true even today so I couldn't try one before I bought one maybe one day I'll get my hands on one so I can end this obsession. The next bass on my list was the iconic Stingray more than just a slap or funk machine these basses do it all. I decided on a natural Stingray Classic with a gorgeous maple neck it was on back order but that wasn't a problem because I was in no hurry so in the meantime I kept checking the site ( American Musical Supply) looking at other basses and each time I found myself checking out the Warwick basses and soon I had to have one I decided to get the Thumb over the Double $$ Corvette because to my ears the Thumb sounded warmer and I liked the simpler controls.

So my baby arrived last Saturday and I wanted to wait so I could give a proper review. I had to get through three boxes which was tough because I didn't want to damage them but when I got to the flight case and opened it this is what it felt like.

Bright.

Immediately I knew I made the right decision the smell of that beautiful wood hit me first and then I just stood there taking it all in an man Warwick does case candy right!!. This bass is more complex than it looks it goes from a mellow Jazz like sound to an almost Ray like aggressive bite with just a slight turn of the tone controls and soloing the pups add another entirely different dimension. One nice touch I love and it's a small detail but the center dentent has a nice solid "click" that you can feel and hear. I can say without a doubt that this is the first active bass where the passive mode is not only useful but desirable there is no loss in volume and it even has a separate beautiful tone and a few times I forgot I was in passive mode. It shipped with Warwick's EMP coated strings and you can't tell there is a coating at all very musical and evenly toned strings they seem like a perfect fit for this bass. Fit and finish are perfect the brass frets seem to have a nice bell like quality and the harmonics are really nice this bass pretty much slaps itself I'm not that great at it but it sure sounded much better than my other basses. The minute I played the RHCP's "Under the Bridge" I knew this was a keeper. :)

Enough talk here are the pics

IMG_20150425_131628.

IMG_20150425_131638.

IMG_20150425_115830.
    IMG_20150425_115859.

IMG_20150425_115914.

IMG_20150425_115924.

IMG_20150425_120049.

A couple of side notes the bass was made in March of 2014 so naturally it was dehydrated I spent three days getting it up to Warwick's recommended humidity level of around 45% I then conditioned the bass and fretboard with the included beeswax also the battery that ships with the bass is a really cheap one and I didn't notice it until the bass sounded weaker all of a sudden I threw a Duracell in there and boom my bass was back. I had the chance to talk to customer service and they are great thanks again Dave for answering my emails right away and making me feel great about becoming a member of the Warwick family.

Product Description

The Thumb bolt-on electric bass guitar features active MEC 2-way electronics and 2 MEC J/J single-coil pickups to ensure rich, warm tones. The Thumb bass is a balanced bass that plays well with access to the upper frets. The frets and nut make each note sound clear and bright with a good punch.

Warwick German Thumb Bass Guitar Specifications

• Machineheads: Warwick Machine Heads
      • Nut: Just-A-Nut III Brass
      • Neck Wood: Wenge neck, 3 laminations
      • Fretboard: Wenge fingerboard (fretted), Tigerstripe Ebony fingerboard (fretless)
      • Fluorescent Side Dot: lluminated Side-Dots
      • Fingerboard Radius: 20"
      • Scale length: 34" (long scale)
      • Fret quantity material and size: 24 Jumbo Bronze (extra hard) frets (width: 2.9 mm / height: 1.3 mm)
      • Frets: IFT - Invisible Fretwork Technology
      • Body Shape: Curved Body Shape
      • Bodywood (Topwood / Backwood): Bubinga body
      • Pickups: Active MEC J/J pickups
      • Electronics: Active MEC 2-way electronics
      • Pot layout: Volume P/P / Balance / Treble & Bass stacked
      • Bridge system: 2-piece solid Brass Warwick Bridge
      • Strap system: Warwick security locks
      • Construction: Bolt-On
      • Left Righthand: right-handed or left-handed
      • Colour possibilities: Natural Oil Finish, Coloured Oil Finish or High Polish Finish
      • Hardware colour: Black, Chrome or Gold hardware
      • String label / gauges: Warwick EMP strings 045" - 105" (38200M)
      • Weight: 4.0 kg
      • Included accessories: Warwick User Kit
      • Packing: Flight Case by RockCase(R) (RC 10830 SA W)
      • Certificate: Individually issued certificate of authenticity

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Nice! The thumb and Ric are at the top of my gas list too! (Already have a 'Ray)

Joe Kyle and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. The mighty Thumb! A worthy and excellent choice!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Congrats! Thumb 4s are amazing basses. And the new Warwicks are stellar instruments! Enjoy! And feel free to post more pics.

Session1969 and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Thanks everyone it's weird because a Warwick was never on my GAS list I always liked them but I wanted the other two more I'm glad I kept going back to that site. :)

6. Great score! I've owned all three of the basses on your GAS list, and each is a unique and fantastic bass in its own way! Warwicks are gorgeous and are built to an incredible standard of quality. No doubt you'll love this one. Have fun with it!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 thanks and the second you pick it up you know right away where the money went. I thought about getting a Pro Series but they aren't that much cheaper than the all German basses.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Yeah, if you are going Warwick, definitely go for the German ones. Nothing against the others, as I've played some of them that are nice and sound good, but for me a big part of Warwicks is the aesthetic, and without a doubt the German ones are in a different league in that regard.

Tbone76 and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I find it weird but in every picture I see the Thumb's body looks bigger than it actually is.

10. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I also used Zymol's fretboard conditioner along with the beeswax it's slightly thicker and really retains moisture. The only trade off to a beautiful natural finish is slightly more upkeep.

11. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That flight case is really heavy

12. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    congrats! look awesome! :woot:drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

blindrabbit and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. An excellent choice. I wish I had one, too. All the best of British luck with it.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  14. You made the best choice. That bass can be used for anything, and sound fantastic. Congratulations. :hyper::bassist:
    Do not forget to tuck it in at night with its original blanket, or it will not let you play with it the next day.

15. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    lol I'm thinking about buying it a little pillow.

kwaping and S-Bigbottom like this.
  16. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I just did something stupid my OCD kicked in so I polished the fingerboard again and popped my G string somebody please feel free to throw in a ("that's what she said") I was using the wrong tuner and I thought it was my snark acting up I just ordered a new set I wonder if Warwick will sell me a single G string?

17. Great! The sign of a very good case!

The truss rod may have to be adjusted seasonally!
    But I do love my German wick!

NBD rare 1980 Clarke Spellbinder...pic heavy. | TalkBass.com

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  19. With all ur basses you don't have any used sets or extra sets?

SirMjac28 likes this.