1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: It’s a blue moon!! Larry Graham 5 (I swear my GAS is cured... lol)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Jan 27, 2021.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Isn’t this the way it works? Yesterday, I posted about how my GAS is cured, now that I’m shedding on the double bass.

This morning, I woke up to an email from Bass Japan Direct telling me the navy blue Moon Larry Graham 5-string I ordered in October, 2020 (back when I was still GAS-positive) is done and ready to ship!

I’ve always wanted a navy blue bass. This one is ALL blue and it’s gorgeous. So maybe the first song I play on her is Miles Davis’ “All Blues,” followed by Billie Holiday’s “Blue Moon.”

Of course, since I don’t have any, I’ll play “Hair” by Larry Graham... the best slap line ever. Just feels right.

If I wasn’t completely cured of GAS before, I’ll definitely be cured when this girl arrives. Oof!! :drool:

2A2BD0CB-E98B-49F2-B340-251A0CCD2949.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    NigelD, StevieMac, 12BitSlab and 19 others like this.
  2. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    A few more photos...
    59AEDCB1-76F8-4501-B54B-0C1DBB4CD929.jpeg A6D023FF-49C9-4E6E-B567-59DC75B9D946.jpeg 9DC66A8F-B407-45D7-A2CB-24451F4FC770.jpeg 4BC6217B-F2EF-4433-9D3B-22A4CE792BC1.jpeg

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Nice! Is the fretboard painted blue as well?

Three months is not bad at all, have fun with that! And yeah, 'Hair' would be a great choice!

4. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Yeah. It’s wild. The entire bass is blue including the fretboard. They told me 4-5 months, so I appreciate the under-promise/over-deliver approach to customer service. (Every other build I’ve done has been the opposite)

I’ve taken sporadic lessons from Anthony Wellington since he lives (sort of) near me. He got one in purple sparkle w gold hardware... kind of an ode to Prince. When I saw that, I hit a GAS pocket & had to have one in my favorite color, navy blue.

This is going to be a legendary, one-of-a-kind bass!

Now if I can only remember the rhythm to “Hair” lol

JRA and ModuMan like this.
  5. And here I am thinking how awesome my Squier parts bass came out...trying to convince myself that GAS is cured...right....

6. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    What a great guy to be able to take lessons from! Purple sparkle sounds really cool too.

Having never really nailed Hair before, I found this breakdown very helpful:

TrevorG, Bob_Ross and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  7. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I remember that video. He does a nice job of breaking it down. The rhythms are really odd. It's funny to see him analytically break down the licks when you know Larry Graham was just feeling it when he layed it down.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! it already is! beautiful piece, love the blue --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

tb-player likes this.
  9. Here's the "ugly sister" of your bass! Mid 90's Moon bass, a CL find. "Upgraded" the p/u's to Sadowsky Single coils as I already have too many basses with Bart electronics. Pre is bart two band with push pull volume to bypass the pre.
    The bass sings like a piano, but weighs a metric ton!
    Fishheadjoe Moon bass pics 002 - Copy (2).JPG Moon bass pics 004 - Copy (3).JPG Moon bass pics 004 - Copy (3).JPG

Joshua likes this.
  10. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thank you sir! I hope it doesn’t become one of those “too pretty to play” basses. I’m kind of in awe of it.

JRA likes this.
  11. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    This is what this bass reminds me of :laugh:
    blue.jpg

12. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Nothing ugly about that bass. Looks like a player for sure!

13. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    If only the bass was a Tobias!! What a wasted opportunity. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    ModuMan and Relayer71 like this.
  14. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Ha! Good one!

tb-player likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021