1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD/I've sorta seen the light.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meddle, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Hello all

In the past I have said some nasty things about P basses. A couple of years ago, as a birthday gift of sorts, I picked up a cheap P bass copy so that I could figure out the buzz about P basses.

Well today I finally finished off my modifications to the P copy. I've changed out the electronics for better pots (and a mystery cap with quite a high value by the sounds of things), a Dimarzio Model P, a Doctor Parts maple neck, different bridge, pickguard, knobs and a chrome cover (the only Fender part on the bass).

Firstly, thank you to the user CDEF who sent me the chrome cover a wee while ago. Big kharma going his way, and if I can help it I will pass something forwards to keep the ball rolling.

Now onto the bass itself. I love it. It looks like my dream P bass should look, and it sounds even better. The vintage Model P pickup came off a Westone Thunder 1 bass and packs a brutal punch. With my modded Bad Monkey (C5 removed, C11 replaced with a 0.1 uF cap) I can get those gnarly John Wetton bass tones from Red-era King Crimson. Even clean the bass has a warmth and grind that I'm addicted to. I'm currently jamming with my fretless Dearmond with a drummer friend, but I will drag this bass along to the next jam to see how it sits with drums. I wager it will deliver the goods.

The whole bass is a lesson in recycling. Only the pickguard was purchased for the purpose of the project. The bridge came off my Washburn T24 (which now has the brass bridge off the Westone), the tuners came off the original donor P copy... both pots came from old projects....

Pics!

20120828_144752.

20120828_144801.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I bet she'll be your main bass in no time!! Great job!!

3. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I had to do so much work to get it all running that I am oddly attached to him/her/it already.

A younger and stupider me filed out the neck pocket to fit a wider neck heel at one point. In a moment of genius I only took wood off the treble side of the pocket and lo, when I put strings on they were practically hanging over the treble side of the neck.

So I spent the last couple of weeks filling the neck pocket to make it even and then re-spraying the areas where wood filler was visible. :ninja: I swear I make twice as much work for myself.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Black/black/maple, beautiful bass sir

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I love your country...

And love your bass too...

I stay a "Jazz bass guy", but a P bass is a P bass, so that now
    you know too

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
  7. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Phenomenal sound out of that thing, definitely entering Wetton territory. I also loved your homage to Cogs in Cogs--very well played, sir!

8. aaaah.. now i see the connection.
    Your nickname -> Meddle
    Roger Waters' Black Precision....

Cool !

you have to put a set of Rotosound Flatwounds to really know what a P Bass is !

Cheers

9. That things got a sick punch to it! Nice!

10. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Black and Maple, very nice! Welcome to the Dark P Side of the Moon ;)

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    oh my,....;)

12. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks all for the kind words! The Meddle = Pink Floyd link has finally been found! :hyper:

13. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got a Mexican P Bass in a trade a couple weeks ago. I took it all apart to see what makes it tick, put it back together with some new strings, got everything nice and snug and intonated, and I'm loving it.

I call him Pepe.

14. Here's mine, mate ! a 1978 Pbass signed by the man himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    That is a sweet bass/Hiwatt rig. You in a Floydian tribute band?

16. yeap ! Well spotted !

17. Very nice, like the black on black.