1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! J. Backlund Design JBD-800B!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Jul 14, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    http://www.jbacklund.com/jbd-800b.html

Check this out. The white bass on this page is now mine, serial #1!

Most of you here know Bruce Bennett, and his work with John Backlund is exceptional. I have been bugging Bruce and Kevin Maxfield to make a bass for a while, and they surprised me at NAMM with this one. Seeing how today was my 50th birthday, well, Happy Birthday to me! (bank account now very low :)

Pictures of the bass and Bruce from NAMM coming tomorrow.

Oh, and visit the website links to their Kickstarter Retronix page. You can pledge just $500 and get a bass from their upcoming Retronix line.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/430854338/retronix-r-800-r-800b-by-j-backlund-guitar-project

I think this is really cool!

2. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    I just visited the Kickstarter page again. Man, that is a great idea. I hope Bruce, Kevin and Steve get to the pledge level. I would love to see this run of instruments built for sure.

In the mean time, already having waiting pains and I know the bass won't ship until today!

3. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Okay, it does exist. Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

4. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Last one....

Attached Files:

5. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Not even one "nice bass" or "cool bass"?

Geez.

6. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I think everyone must be speechless.

That is a really nice, extremely cool Space Age looking bass. Enjoy!!!

SL

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool. Novel idea--3 pickups. How does it sound and play?

8. If it was a short scale bass, I would already be signed up...

9. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Usually I don't go for that kind of thing, but this designer has got some serious mojo. They are all super cool.

10. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Just got it to my studio. Will try and record some sound clips or put something on YouTube.

11. That is one nice bass! Cool shape also!

Seriously, it is. Three pups and a five way switch piques my interest.

In the short time I've been lurking here, I've noticed NBD threads are mostly ignored unless its a vintage Fender. I waited a year for a custom build, got it, posted a NBD thread and it was enjoyed by two or three others and myself. That's OK, because I have the bass and I didn't get it for others to ooh and aah over it, but it would've been nice anyway.

Congratulations!

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    The secret is, post new bass pics + gratuitous sex & violence videos, maybe insert a football team logo, & offer something w bacon in it for those who post feedback.

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I dig the retro-futuristic vibe.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    It almost looks like Michael J Fox's sneakers from Back to the Future.

15. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Commercial User

Sep 8, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    Owner and Luther for Bennett Music Labs
    Thank you Tom and I hope you love your new bass..

and I know Sonny Kenn is gonna flip!

and to all bass players everywhere. even if its not your cup of tea. we still need your help, tell your friends and your local dealers about our project.

Because if you think about it. this model has innovations very few, basses in this price range ever have. like a 6 bolt neck with a comfort carved heel and no plate, 3 cailbrated single coil passive pickups placed at their best harmonic locations with 5 way switching for a incredible range of both Vintage and Modern tones.. a multi-laminated neck with all the bolts in the purpleheart. a super slim jazz bass styled neck. a fully comfort carved body with excellent balance, a 7 degree headstock angle for the best string/nut tension and a stronger headstock. and while the hardware is still yet to be approved and announced, I am digging hard to find the very best sounding and looking hardware available.
    These basses will be nothing short of true Players instruments. and if you help us make this happen.. then you can get one at a fabulous deal,
    its our way of saying Thank you for believeing in us.

16. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Sonny saw it today and he loves it! His bass player, Chris Plunkett, who has toured with many famous country artists including Hank Williams Jr. said, "Tom, I hate you." after seeing and playing it. He already asked to borrow it for a gig tomorrow.

Thanks Bruce for an AMAZING BASS like nothing I have ever owned or played before. This neck is better then my Kubicki necks, faster then the Lightwave neck, and the tones out of thins bass are seriously great.

For those lurking, I will be pledging the $500 so I can get a Retronix bass in a cool color to compliment this one.

17. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    I will remember this next time. ;););)

18. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Sorry if I missed it. I'll chime in next time for sure.

19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wicked cool designs...

20. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Love it! The closest thing to it might be one Mr Mouradian's designs. I really like that even with 3 pickups,the user electronics layout is quite simple. Congrats!