NBD... Jack Casady 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Mar 23, 2018.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    When I first saw this bass prior to release, I knew I wanted one. I should add that I have a real love of hollow body basses. Not sure why the look makes me a little crazy, but it does. I even thought about pre-ordering, but I fought off the GAS because you know, who needs more basses. ;) Fast forward to two weeks ago and I spied one in the local GC. I had to play it. Well, I shouldn't have done that if I didn't want to buy it. Feel and tone were really great.

I also ordered the Hard shell case to replace the gig bag as I like them. Plus, someone recommended it on one of the posts I was reading here. It was a good call. I use gig bags and while this may be thin at least it's flimsy. :D Well, to be fair, it would be sufficient for careful and light use. This one turned out to be a bit more red than the others I had seen, but it is a beautiful color to be sure.

I could go on, but we've all been there. So, here are a few photos I took.
    fullsizeoutput_1260.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1261.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1263.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1262.jpeg

rgordon, cosmicevan, lukatch and 47 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mmmmmm, yummy! :thumbsup:

instrumentalist and Old Blastard like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great looking bass! I know those basses get a great P-bass style tone.

McG and Coolhandjjl like this.
  4. Great looking bass, enjoy playing it!

5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    WOW! The red is tops! Has the JC been around 20 yrs already? No way!

elgranluis, McG and Old Blastard like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've had my oldest one almost that long now... ;)

McG and Old Blastard like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i love the hollow body look, too, but i don't have any. yours is a knockout! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    You were :cool:, but not too succesful :D :thumbsup:

Hi BassJuju :)

Happy NBD!!!

Wise(b)ass

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice lookin' bass.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Love it. If you jam with it, let us know how it works in a band setting!

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Beautiful.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Congrats. Looks real good.

BassJuju likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I saw the man himself play one exactly like it last year. I was blown away by how versatile that bass is. It will go from thud to part your hair and all points in between.

14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Real nice! What is the 50, 250, XXX switch do?

15. Congrats, BassJuju. I hope you enjoy your red JCB as much as I do my blue one.

It's for selecting the impedance tap of the transformer that's between the low-Z pickup and the output jack. The settings are 50, 250 and 500 ohms. It's an uncommon and effective way to change the timbre of the bass.

McG, cdef, RedVee and 1 other person like this.
  16. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    well..I had one..a 2000 model..and it did sound nice..and had one of the flattest necks I had ever seen..but..I did sell mine..there were 3 things I could not continue on with..first..it was the placement of the strap connector on the back of the body..it made the instrument lean forward away from your body when standing and playing..second..the instrument was fragile and always had to be handled with care..the body is easy to punch through in an accident situation..and if you overtune accidentally..you can sometimes hear the body snap and crackle..and pop..dont want to pull that bridge..which is only a 3 point connector..right out of the body..third..the body was oversized and clunky for me..just didnt work for me..sitting down at home and playing is OK on those..doesnt work for me on the road..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Old Blastard likes this.
  17. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Beautiful bass! Enjoy!!

18. Ultradust

Ultradust Commercial User

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manager, Moollon
    Well played & congrats, they're a fantastic value with some great tones hidden all over the place.

Seeing JC play his with his thumb resting on the fingerboard w/varitone @50 setting was enough inspiration to mess about a bit more than I normally would upon purchase. Also letting your amp sing a bit louder with the JC putting out less volume can be really tasteful, lots of the hollow tones ring out.

At present I'm using D'addario halfwounds (a set I normally can't stand on Fenders) with the JC tuned to a nice and thumpy DGCF. Plenty of tension in reserve and hollow sounding as heck!

19. From the Sweetwater site (only because it came readily to hand):
    "Epiphone's VariTone circuitry is a truly unique beast, and it's part of what makes the Jack Casady Signature Bass such a fun and distinctive instrument to play. The VariTone control lets you dial in the impedance of its active humbucking pickup from around 50 ohms to around 500 ohms, which seriously affects your sound. As you turn the Jack Casady Signature Bass's VariTone control, you shift its tone from even dynamics and full tone to a punchier response with a narrower sound and plenty of bite. This gives you an absolutely massive sonic palette to play with!"

VariTone is an impedance selector that, by the nature of the circuit, will affect the overall frequency response of the bass, ergo the tonal character (timbre) but not by selecting a center frequency.

20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Sweet.:woot:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022