1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! (japanese content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Due to some unforseen bills in the second half of 2011, Christmas gift giving came a bit late at my house, but i definitely believe it was worth the wait :D i've always wanted a Sunburst P, and after letting a nice MIM get away a few years ago, i happened upon this seemingly unplayed gem at a local pawn while on a family dinner outing, and it came home with us. now for the Pr0n.

1984-87 '57 reissue :hyper: (note to self: buy a better camera :atoz:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    nice score, mang. worth the wait for sure!

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sweet! It was meant to be.

4. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Awesome, glad you got your Christmas goodies, even if they were belated.

5. yessir! it came from my Father, so it means that much more...plus, it's just really nice. one piece maple neck = :smug:

would anyone happen to know if these basses came with dingy, aged tuners or if my bass has just been sitting in a closet for 20 years? i cleaned up the bridge and saddles so i could set it up, and i kinda like the dingy old look of these tuners, but all 4 posts are loose. if they're not supposed to be that way, i'm thinking of cleaning them...

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The stock tuners would have been bright and shiny chrome, identical looking to MIA tuners but without the "Fender" script on the plate. Yours look like they might shine-up a little but I wouldn't get too aggressive cleaning them, maybe just disassemble and give 'em a rub with a microfiber cloth and a little oil.

7. Very nice man, congrats

8. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It's MIJ, it's a P-bass, it's Fender, and it's got a maple fretboard. Lucky, lucky, lucky dog, you... Grr...

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Niiiiice, the basses Fender Japan was making in the 80s were crazy good. Congrats and enjoy!

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that's a really nice p bass. congrats!

just an FYI, i don't think that it's actually 57 RI though, since it would've had ribbed saddles, reverse tuning keys, a gold anodized guard, with two tone burst paint and a spaghetti logo.

your tuning keys are nickel plated (like the 60's ones) and after 20 years they oxidize and dull like that. i wouldn't attempt to clean them since they give it a vintage vibe and are original to the bass.

enjoy it. those early to mid 80's MIJ's are good basses.