1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Jazz Bass from "Richie's Guitar Shop" in NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LanEvo, May 6, 2019.

1. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    In the old NYC music scene, there were some bass techs that everyone swore by. One of them was Richard Baxt of "Richie's Guitar Shop." I've never worked with him, but always heard great things. A buddy of mine who was a working pro in the late-'80s and early-'90s swore by him.

Anyway, Richie makes Fender clones that get rave reviews. This one arrived today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the face of it, there's nothing special here. But it's very nicely assembled/finished and perfectly set-up. Light and resonant with a well-balanced tone. Incredible playability.

Joshua and Wisebass like this.
  2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations. Digging the headstock decal!

3. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I miss my old ‘66 Jazz that I had to sell a few years back. This comes very close in terms of tone. The feel is also very close, except that the neck is a little rounder.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Despite living in or near NYC for a vast portion of the past ~50 years, I have never heard of "Richie's Guitar Shop". Any idea where it was located?

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I believe his shop was down in the 'Village', IIRC. I'm almost sure I took one of my basses there once.

6. Nice. Mind if I ask how much these run?

7. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Tompkins Square Park. He works out of an apartment on East 11th and Avenue A.

An old girlfriend of mine used to live just around the corner from there around 20 years ago ... before the whole area turned into a giant NYU dorm LOL. I was surprised to find Richie was still active to be honest.

Bob_Ross likes this.