1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Jazz Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kerem Koseoglu, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Well, TB is the best place I know to celebrate a new instrument!

I played jazz basses before, obviously. Later on, my GAS journey took me through a lot of well known basses over the years. Each bass had its distinct perks and place. Crossing the threshold of "no dissatisfaction", basses are simply different, not better.

In my current position, I play in various projects; covering a variety of genres including jazz, latin, Brazil, pop, rock, blues and ambient.

Considering the fact that I like simplicity; P-Bass seemed to be the answer. However, I like the Marcus slap & Jaco growl too; which it seemed to lack. I also believe in minimalism and limit the number of objects in my life; so one main bass and one "stunt" bass should be enough (YMMV).

Well, I found peace by simply going back to a passive jazz bass. This is a brand new & very good sounding American Standard Jazz Bass, and came with a good discount due to the new pro series being out. Has custom shop pickups too.

How do I get the variety I need?
    • Cut the bridge pickup by 10%, tone by 25%, play loosely over the neck pickup with the fleshy part of the fingers; and you are in the P-Bass ballpark. Great for rock stuff or upright simulation.
    • Set everything full, and you get that scooped slap-friendly J-Bass sound. Great for funk, general finger style; and also heavy effects due to hum cancellation.
    • Cut the neck pickup by 10%, tone by 30%, play tightly over the bridge pickup with the tips of the fingers; and you are in the Jaco ballpark. Great for growly finger style.
    • Solo the bridge pickup; and you get a decent solo instrument.
    I had basses specializing in one or two of these roles. I also had basses which provide much more variety by active / passive / humbucker / single / series / parallel / etc switches. However; a passive jazz bass seems to have the perfect balance of my subjective criteria:
    • It supports minimalism because I can get by with a single bass
    • It provides the sonic versatility that I want
    • It is simple enough to keep me playing instead of fiddling
    • It is a widely accepted industry standard
    I might want to install some noiseless pickups in the future; but I have yet to find one that sounds as organic as single coil pickups. For now, I'll just keep the pickup volumes balanced until the song starts ;)

Last but not least, where would a NBD post be without pictures, eh?

IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2973.JPG
    (there is just something about white rosewood basses...)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. LAST_C

LAST_C

Apr 26, 2013
    California
    Nice! Congrats!

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

4. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    That's a great looking bass color combo! Kudos!

5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    And thank YOU for not apologising for your English. Because it's excellent :D

Better than some native speakers even :thumbsup:

6. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Beautiful bass! Interesting genres you play, as well.

Welcome to TB!

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I like your philosophy a lot, but I am addicted to GAS..... :meh:

8. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Congrats! I'm on the lookout for one (USA Standard 2012-2016). Either that, or I'm grabbing the new Professional. Again, nice score man! Can't go wrong with a classic.

Kerem Koseoglu and Old Blastard like this.
  9. I had the chance to compare my USA Std Jazz against a Pro and Elite.

The Elite Jazz Bass has all the bells and whistles you want; but the noiseless pickups didn't really speak to me. I had the intention to install N4 pickups to my Std Jazz, but the Elite Jazz changed my mind. Not a bad sound, just different from what my ears like to hear from a J-Bass.

On the other hand; the sound of the Pro Jazz and Std Jazz were identical. They both had that great vintage sound, and the wood felt good (that's what she said) in terms of resonance. For some reason; the neck of the Std Jazz felt better to me; which is peculiar because they both are supposed to be 34" with 1.50" nut width and 9.5" radius. The Pro probably needed a proper setup.

All in all; even if you can't find the Std USA you are looking for, the Pro Jazz is a very accurate follow-up in terms of my perceived sound & quality. Without the discount offer; I could easily lean towards the Pro Jazz.

mouthmw likes this.
  10. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    That’s a looker for sure. No doubt, an excellent use of tort.

Ghastly and Kerem Koseoglu like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020