1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Jazz Content Ahoy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Sooooo...here's a day I never thought would come.

I traded my Warwick Corvette Fretless for this beast (and some cash). It's a 2012 Standard Series Jazz bass and MAAAAN OH MAAAN does it play/sound/look slick. Couldn't be happier with the trade (and the bonus cash). I see some replacement pups and maybe a high mass bridge in the near(ish) future.

Got it at a good price (it was the store rental model) and the condition is excellent (few dings but nothing that screams rental bass).

The first pic is what the bass looked like in store and the other is after I added my own flare (A new pickguard and DR NEONs). All in all, I couldn't be happier.

The reason this is so surprising is that I'd always GAS'd hard for Warwicks and when I joined this forum (at all of 14 years old) I was a hardline anti-Fender crusader. How tastes change with age. Tastiest damn crow I've ever eaten.

Attached Files:

2. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Heh... damn fenders... they get us all in the end.

Sweet jazz.

3. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Very nice!
    I have been playing since 1979 and have never liked Fender products. Had a '72 Precision and practically gave it away (Duh).
    I now own ONLY Fenders (8 to be exact). I just love them.
    The later Standard series are really well built quality instruments. Good luck!

4. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    I have a 2012 just like that, except I swapped the white guard for a tort.

Without doubt, the finest jazz bass I've ever played. It has the quintessential *jazz-bass* sound.

But I'm curious, why would you replace the pickups? And for the record, the 2012 standard series already has a 'high-mass' bridge.

Personally, I see no point in making any questionable "upgrades" to a 2012 standard jazz. You simply don't need to. It plays and sounds great as is

5. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I think I may end up with a tort guard at some point, but I'm digging the solid black in the meantime.

I prefer the sound of Seymour Duncan Jazz Pups, so that's why I'd like to change them out. There's nothing wrong with what's in there, but I just prefer the SDs is all.

As for the bridge, I'm positive it's not a high mass bridge. Ideally, I'd like to stick a Badass III on there, but I have to do some youtube research before I pull the trigger.

As an addendum, my buddy is a professional artist and has agreed to do a custom Transformers themed piece on the original white pickguard. This pleases me greatly.

6. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    My apologies Sonic...I misread your post.

Yours is indeed a 'standard' jazz (MIM). I somehow misread this as 'American' standard jazz (Made in USA)

The two are quite different, and you are correct. Yours does not have a high mass bridge and the pickups may indeed require swapping out.

(I couldn't understand why anyone would want to stick a high mass bridge on an American standard: It already has one, and the custom shop pickups are the bomb...I guess I should have opened my eyes a little more...sorry)

7. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Yep, this is indeed a MIM Jazz and yes that is quite the difference. As far as feel goes, this particular MIM just does it for me, no question. That said, the MIA stock pickups/hardware are undeniably a step up. In a way I'm sort of glad I got the MIM just because I don't feel so bad about swapping stuff out.

8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Welcome to the dark side. I tried for years to avoid fenders, but one day a J bass followed me home. Now I also only own fenders

9. Wait...so you traded a fretless Corvette for a Mexi-Jazz? Interesting. Hope you didn't do so at a loss.

10. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I ended up with a good bit of cash on top of the bass. Trust me, I know what the corvette was worth and I'm more than satisfied with how things went.