1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Jericho Alpha Blacker 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SerratedBass, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass Guitars,
    I've had my eye on these Jericho basses for a while after seeing Facebook ads for them. They peaked my interest because I love jazz basses, and also love the stealth/matt black look on a bass. My other axes are a custom Warwick Streamer LX4 in matt black, and a black Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass.

I scoured Talkbass to see if there were any reviews or experiences of Jericho and it didn't turn up a great deal. I was a bit sceptical for a while, wondering even if they were a legitimate company! I don't very often buy basses I haven't been able to get hands on with, but these Jerichos just looked great, seemed like a really good spec and had a good price tag, even after import duty (I'm UK based). I decided to pull the trigger as a Christmas present to myself, and after getting hands on with it for the last week I thought I'd share my thoughts so anyone looking for info like I tried to would be able to make an informed decision on getting one if they were thinking about it.

It didn't take too long for the bass to arrive, US to UK, although had the usual mess around when importing anything from another country having to pay import duty, and because I didn't want to wait for Parcelforce to deliver it and me miss the delivery, I went and picked it up from the depot.

The bass setup was great straight out of the box once tuned up to BEADG. I made some slight adjustments as I tuned it down a little for use in one of the projects I plan to use it for - ADADG. Action was super low, and the neck was dead straight. Exactly how I tend to set a bass up to get maximum growl. I'm used to 34" scale 4 strings, and the Alpha is a 35" scale fiver. Fancied giving a 5 a go again after dabbling with them years ago and not getting on with them. This bass plays great and sounds amazing. Stands up well to my other basses which are over double the price, especially considering the mods on my jazz bass (Delano pickups and Audere pre). I was a bit apprehensive about the pickups as I'd not heard of them before - Stew Macs? Pleasantly surprised though, I thought I would at the very least have to swap them out. I think I'll stick with them for the time being though, they sound great. More vintage sounding than the Delanos in my jazz, but works great with the distortion I use. I quizzed the owner on his choice, given that the hardware is all Hipshot I thought it strange they would go for cheaper pickups. He sounded very genuine in his choice that they just liked the tone, and I can hear what he means. The bass is fairly heavy, but really well balanced and very comfortable to play. I was expecting to find it more difficult to adjust to the longer scale length and wider neck of the fiver, after struggling a few years back with them. I have to say though I'm finding it a breeze.

I really can't wait to try this bass out on a gig next week, that will be the real tester for it, whether my fussy FOH engineer will like the tone! I'll report back if anyone is interested and hopefully get some pics of it. Initial thoughts on the Alpha - very happy with my purchase

2. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I believe there is a rule requiring pics of new basses...;)

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great looking basses. A lot of Aerodyne influence. I dig it a lot.
    DUBVXiKVwAAYatm._large. jericho bass 2.

4. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Well in that case....

_20190103_004600.JPG

I took this shot when I opened it but didn't deem it a good enough photo to upload :laugh:

Yes very Aerodyne influenced, even has the contouring on the back. I recently played a friends new Aerodyne, which probably went a long way in influencing my GAS for the Jericho, and my weak will in caving and pulling the trigger on it :roflmao:

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm likely going to own one of these at some point. I LOVE the Aerodyne looks but I'm strictly a 5 guy.

Congrats. Really nice bass.

6. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Thank you! Well if you were on the fence about them I hope I've gone some way to making your decision easier. Lots of bang for your buck with this bass IMO

two fingers likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. I just looked them up again. The prices of these basses are just silly low. I may have to go ahead and pull the trigger before word gets out and they skyrocket.

SerratedBass likes this.
  8. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Problem is I really like the look of the Alpha Black with the maple neck too. This might get out of hand

9. Congrats for your new axe. Here is mine:
    15FD65C7-4318-4B7D-8DB2-6679179941BD.
    Totally happy with it and nothing to complain.
    IMO for the price a no brainer, if you’re into PJ’s

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    SerratedBass likes this.
  10. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    What's the neck profile like on these? Standard jazz?

11. Similar to Jazz neck but with a flatter radius. Very comfortable and fast

higain617 likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

new to me, but really cool looking ax. i dig the color! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

SerratedBass likes this.
  13. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I follow them on Instagram, and basically every instrument they post is a stunner.

SerratedBass likes this.
  14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Great looking bass! Did you say what kind of wood the fretboard is?

15. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    IMG_2159.JPG I ordered one of these at Thanksgiving but I had a similar, yet different, experience with Jericho. Similar in that I too have the Alpha blacker 5, also similar in that I find it to be a well constructed and nice playing bass. I got it as a backup for my Spector Euro because its 35" 5 string and passive. I cant really comment on the sound yet as I haven't yet played it through my rig with the band, but through headphones its alright. The difference lies in my experience with Jericho as a company and their (lack of) customer service. I ordered the one with the maple fb. Shipping was slow for whatever reason, the delivery date got changed every day for like 5 days, and when I finally got it I was sent the blacker version. It took 2 emails and a phone call to get a response. Dude was nice enough though, said they'd take care of it and to send a pick of the serial #. I did this and never got a response. I sent like 2 more emails, and left a couple voicemails and nothing.. ghosted. Also, for the record, my bass required a truss adjustment, which was no big deal, but now it seems I was either sent the wrong size allen key to adjust the saddles, or all the little heads are stripped. Either way, saddle height cannot be adjusted at this time. I don't like to complain or talk bad about folks, but when I saw this thread I had to comment. I would say buyer beware. In my experience these guys are an unprofessional, rinky dink operation, and I'm totally bummed about my choice to buy this bass.. I shoulda picked up a G&L off reverb...

16. nitrobrother

nitrobrother Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I ordered mine as soon as they announced them early last year with a "winter 2018" delivery date. I was surprised to get a message from them mid-October that it was on its way. Nice axe, but the 35" is something that I have to get used to. I put a set of Rotosound flats on it and it sounds great. I haven't had a chance to take it to practice anywhere as yet...maybe tonight. It's a heavy sucker, though!
    20190103_165245.

SerratedBass likes this.
  17. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Fretboard is Macassar Ebony on the 'Blacker'