1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - joining the Peavey USA club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aahzz, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    So, way back in the 80's, I wanted to learn to play bass. Finally convinced my parents to buy me a Peavey Patriot in satin mahogany for Christmas. Loved it, but never really learned to play at the time. Fast forward to 93, I got motivated to learn guitar, and traded the Peavey for a Takamine 6-string. Finally learned to play. Played in some bands. Skip ahead to last year, and I realized I really did want to play bass all along, so I sold a bunch of stuff and joined a band on bass. My main player is a Fender PJ in seafoam pearl. I adore it, but have been looking for another bass, and realized I really really wanted to find a Peavey Patriot again, in satin mahogany. I've gone through a fair number of basses, but haven't found another Patriot. Until today. I open Craigslist and there she sits, a Patriot in satin mahogany in fantastic condition. Dude was asking $200. I emailed and offered $160, expecting to meet in the middle or even come up to the $200, but he accepted the $160 immediately.

Here she is.....
    IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3024.JPG

And, the icing on the cake - came with the original hardshell case:
    IMG_3025.JPG

The foam inside is disintegrating, but these old Peavey cases are otherwise bulletproof.

For $160, I'm super psyched. Tomorrow she gets new strings and taken off to band practice, tone report to follow.

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Congrats on the score! Looks like it was well taken care of. One thing you'll notice is a tendency to neck dive. The Titan type tuners weigh a pound and the Patriot body is small and light. I use Gotoh GB707 to replace the large tuners on my Peaveys that have neck dive. They cost about the same as you saved :) and look similar to the Titans'

The deteriorated foam is common. Scrape out all you can and use Naphtha (lighter fluid) to remove the glued part. Be safe, no open flames.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, looks like you got a great deal. Congrats!

4. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Thanks for the tip! I was planning to scrape the foam.

mech likes this.
  5. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Nice bass! If you want to be extra fancy, glue in some fake fur. I've done this to all of my Peavey cases that originally had foam. It's easier if you first make a paper pattern from the body cavity and pin it to the fur before doing any cutting.
    Peavey Patriot B5.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

7. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Off to band practice with fresh strings - can't wait to hear her through my real rig....

8. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Got to run it through my full rig tonight, even though we had an abbreviated band practice - it sounds and plays fantastically.

irjason likes this.
  9. Ray H.

Ray H. Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Waterloo, Oregon
    IMG_7559.JPG I love my 96 Peavey Forum:)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    luvin my T-20 FL but it's tone spectrum is quite stifled and took too much amp fiddling to find a happy hunting ground. it's rather nasally stuffed as tho it has a cold, I'm thinking this is all unnatural and definitely distracting at times. how do other T-20 owners feel about their tonal palate, is it typical, unusual, or just a T or FL thing?
    I never see mods for these either, and I doubt there are many reasons to mess with this sweet basic bass and it's general goodness, but we're always looking to get the most out of our gear and losing the single coil hum is also in order. is any of this fixable?
    a hex screw on the vol. knob is keeping me from viewing the circuitry and I may chose to rewire the PU directly to the jack which will probably increase the clarity / highs but may also boost the whole show and more useful lows would be great.

11. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I,ve got a white Forum like that