1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Just a Squier!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taught, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    So I finally got my Squier Classic Vibe Precision 70's after I fought with my local dealership for months (see my other thread: Is it ok to wait months for a bass? ).

I know it is not a '65 Fender that worth thousands of dollars but I waited so long to have a P-Bass and it fits in to the family perfectly. It is played along with my Squier VM Jazz bass :)

Mods:
    - I hated the tumb rest underneath the strings since I've things to do down there so I removed it. I don't know what to do with the holes yet, I am afraid if I put screws into the holes it will hurt my fingers while playing.
    - I also swapped the stock pickup with an SPB-3.

Attached Files:

jbassbob, Microbass, Atshen and 40 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's black! yay! hope you love it! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

"just a squier" :rollno:

Helix and taught like this.
  3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    A couple of #4 black panhead screws won't hurt your fingies, honestly. Sweet bass by the way.

4. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    Yepp, the only way I like black body is with maple neck.

I meant the title to be ironic :)

JRA likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

whoops, sorry: i've been thinking inside the box for the past few days after some 3-stooges binge-watching. whoop, whoop, nyuk, nyuk.

:thumbsup:

the harp unstrung and taught like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Glad to know it finally arrived.
    By the way, I have a Vintage Modified Jazz and it's anything but just a Squier. It's an exceptionally gigable bass, much better than I could've hoped for, and as good as, if not better, than any Fender MIM I've ever played/owned.

7. Alacajun

Alacajun Guest

Mar 19, 2000
    Nice!
    Out of the 14 basses I own, this one sees the most love from me.
    I did change the pu's (Geezer Butler EMG) and the bridge (Omega), but other than that I love it for the way it plays...

Aqualung60 and taught like this.
  8. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Love my VM precision , these up level Squiers are the business

9. No such thing as just a Squier. The Classic Vibe basses are seriously underrated and the all stars of that series.

My most played bass is a Matt Freeman I've added a Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46 pickup and Babicz FCH Bridge to. I've been playing bass for over 40 years and it's as good or better than any PBass I've ever owned including a '63 and a couple of early '70s models. No need to diminish one as being any less than a pro caliber bass.

the harp unstrung, Helix and jd56hawk like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    2ztgay9.

Crowd crusher and soulman969 like this.
  11. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

That's going to be your MVP. The Seymours are great.

12. Congratulations. Looks like you may have lucked into a quartersawn neck there.

13. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nobody has said anything about the Gorillaz sticker yet?

jam.majors and taught like this.
  14. I see you've found it's benefits as well. :D

I have a chrome one on my CV Jazz as well and it also had Bill Lawrence/Wilde J45 pickups. The J45 and the P46 PBass pickup are the best I've ever played. The stock basses are quite good as is but IME these two upgrades put them over the top. And even with upgrades I have less into both than one MIA Jazz or PBass would run. That's high value.

Bass V and jd56hawk like this.
  15. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    So what if it's just a Squier? Their quality has been amazing for the past 5 years and most of all it's your bass! Don't demean your gear because of snobs. I got around the holes on the pick-guard by putting a decal over it.

16. Black and maple...classy.

BnB

the harp unstrung likes this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have a set of Lace Sensor Man O' War Jazz pickups. They're collecting dust because this bass doesn't need a pickup mod…for sone strange reason it has no 60-cycle hum, no matter how I set the volume controls.
    Bought the pickups for my old Inca Silver Jazz bass, but I liked the tone so much I never put them in that, either.
    Was looking at a really nice modded Squier P bass but I decided to go with the bass in my avatar, instead.

18. BigBear77

BigBear77 Gold Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I’ve been GASing for one for a while. Every single one I find and play sounds phenomenal, congrats. Really nice bass

the harp unstrung and taught like this.
  19. I don't recall the 60 cycle hum from the stock pickups being all that bad even when the volume pots were unbalanced but I chalked that up somewhat to their lower output. It existed but was never unacceptably annoying. That wasn't my reason for he swap though. I just found them ordinary and the only somewhat weak point of the bass.

The Wilde J45s use Bill's air gap design and are noiseless but far from soulless as I've found other noiseless pickups to be. In addition they're quite bold and punchy and as transparent as any I've ever played. Plenty of "growl" and no mud on an open E or fretted F and F#. Great string to string balance as well. Well worth their price tag to me.

But I have to say in all honesty I've never been all that impressed with Fender's stock pickup in any guitar or bass I own. Nearly all of them have been swapped for better out of preference with the exception of their CS Nocasters and even those are not found stock in non-CS models.

jd56hawk likes this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    You should give the stock pup a try with GHS pressure wound ML7200.

taught likes this.