1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Kay K-2B SG Bass Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 23, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I just bought this Kay K-2B SG Bass Copy locally for $50 - case included!

100_1033.gif
    100_1035-1.gif
    100_1038.gif
    100_1040-1.gif
    100_1041.gif
    100_1036-1.gif
    100_1037.gif
    100_1044.gif

It's in really good shape for being 35+ years old (I think). There are only a few scratches of any size and one ding in the back. It weighs about 6.5 lbs! The only issues are that the bridge is a joke and both pickup rings are broken so that I can't adjust pickup height.

Anybody know where I can get replacement pickup rings?

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm not sure if it's technically made out of plywood but there sure are a lot of laminationw of wood on the body and the neck.

3. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Might be best just sticking in new pickups. Artec make toaster type pickups with three blades that can be coil-tapped (thus expanding tonal options).

That bridge is a hoot. In some ways it fulfils all the correct aspects of functionality but it does look like it was carved from farm machinery.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Man that bridge is a piece of work ! Bubba rig !

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The pickups actually sound really good but the rings are broken and they're an odd size. I think I might just have to make some out of pickguard material.

I think I might be replacing the bridge with a Jazz bridge.

6. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Be careful when doing so, the body is plywood. My dad has one of those that I was going to mod at one time, but the construction was so cheap I felt like I'd do more damange than any possible good I could do for it. It had kinda a cool, thumpy vintage sound, as it had foam glued to the back of the bridge cover. No sure if your does as well.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, I'm going to have to be careful here. I might just have to use the toothpick trick when I'm screwing in the new bridge screws. My main concern is the pickup rings, but I'm just going to have to construct my own out of pickguard material.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Leo would be, "Why didn't I think of that?"

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Ugh! It's a nasty piece of work. I'm replacing it with a Jazz bridge I have at home.

It's going to take a little work to get this thing back up and playable but I sure do like the way it sounds, how fast it plays, and the fact that it weighs right around 6 lbs!

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I would leave this bass alone. Play it to the best of it's abilities. The multi-lam neck never did catch on.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, I've got to be able to intonate the strings better than they are right now, though.

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm going to have to post some sound clips. This is the best sounding $50 I've ever spent!

13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That bass is way funky cool!
    If it were up to me, I'd try to make it playable but keep it as original as possible - and definitely save all the original parts no matter how bad a shape they are in. The bridge would have to go, but you could consider making one so that you could keep the holes in the body the same. Better bridges will add weight, of course.
    Good luck - that's a great find.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've had a couple of those - and the pickups do sound good. I never had intonation problems with their bridges either...but I did run into some twisted necks.

As far as I'm concerned, drop a good set of flats on it and play the heck out of it.

15. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I had one of those. The bridge is definitely something to keep your hand protected from. For $50 I'd mod it and have fun.

16. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Love the all the different tonewoods in the neck! Since the necks and string spacing on these tend to be narrower than on Jazz basses, you may want to check first to see if a standard Jazz bridge would put the E and G strings too close to the edges of the fretboard. Something like a Squier Bronco bridge might be a better fit.

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    :spit:

I just tried a Jazz bridge and you're right - the E and G are too close to the edge of the fretboard. I ordered a Bronco bridge on Ebay - here's hoping it'll work. Thanks!

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The bronco bridge will hopefully work. Diff a better bridge then the thing on it now. Lol.

19. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have the exact same bass. I would leave it original and play the hell out of it. That bridge may look crude, but it dials up perfectly! You have the actual bridge cover, Get your new strings, Light gauge because this is a short scale. A low E string of .095" or .100"...Fender pure nickle 7150s or D'Addairio nickel wound XL. I used the super light gauge .040", .060", .075" and .095" You should see the action on my K2-B!!!! About the pick up rings. You can get replacement for them from any vintage Japanese parts dealer. Those pick-ups are vintage, the sound is absolutely killer. You can install springs under the metal tab so you can raise and lower them. I played a gig tonight.It sounded awesome. This bass needs pure nickle strings. Install them, then use high quality korg tuner to set intonation. then re-install bridge cover,Please don't butcher this fine one of a kind vintage collectible. they don't make them like this any more...please protect this bass ,20 years from now,you'll thank me. it's from about 1968-to 1972,made in japan,the neck is laminated and stronger than regular wood. The body is a laminated hard wood body, there is no plywood (pine)in this bass. Trust me about the bridge, It's original, it really sounds great , it's fully adjustable and has a cool vintage chrome cover!This Gibson SG Copy bass is the real deal!!!great price!!
    King Koeller

fretter likes this.
  20. SeaBassTheFish

SeaBassTheFish

May 19, 2011
    Congrats on a cool find! I'd love to hear some sound clips when you've got it operational.