NBD KIESEL - Carvin RV69K FRETLESS 6 Zebrawood fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmutant, May 12, 2016.

1. Just got this bass yesterday, ordered in February.

Black Limba Body
    Bolt On Black Limba Neck with two white limba stripes
    Claro walnut top and headstock cap
    black hardware
    Creme pickups and trussrod cover
    Zebrawood Hard as nail finished/superglue unlined fretless fingerboard
    Rosewood 4 knob Vol/Blnd/Mid-MidSwp/Bs-Trb configuration 18v

I had an unlined Fender PBASS Special many years ago, but I definitely have much to learn, my intonation is terrible. I'm going to woodshed and get some side position decals/stickers from gollihur to help a bit. I've got a Ray Brown practice book around here, it's definitely time.

I set the bass up with some Roto Monel Flatwounds's that I had NIB sitting around, but I'm probably going to get a balanced tension set from Circle K strings or whatever their called now with a .142 Low B. It's what I've got on my Heavily Modded MTD Z6 with nordstrand single coils, and I love them. I may leave the flats however, I'm not certain.

Pro's
    Fit and Finish is awesome. Beautiful woods. Pickups sound good.

Neck is super playable and the bass is much, much lighter than my MTD.

The Low B sounds fine. Sometimes Low B's suck ass, these pickups and setup don't.

Con's
    During my initial setup and intonation, I discovered the two neckbolts nearest the neck are stripped slightly and won't tighten down all the way without stripping/rolling over. I'll probably do the toothpick repair method, but for now the joint seems solid. I can't imagine this getting past Kiesel/Carvin QC, it's probably a result of the fedex goon squad throwers considering all the other neck screws are perfect.

During setup, and this is a bit nitpicky, I couldn't get the Low B saddle piece moved far enough to the rear to allow me to put my fat fingers directly on the side dot positions on the neck. I have to put slightly in front of each dot, headstock side, so that the dot would represent the invisible line where the fret would be.

I know I'm supposed to use my ears, but I'm fairly visual after 20+ years of primarily playing fretted basses, as far as hand placement goes and quick shifting up and down the neck.I'm going to definitely buy some stickers and put them on the side of the fingerboard where the frets would be.

I may see if there is any possible way to swap these blade style pickups for some nordstrands, but I don't think so.

Also, the onboard eq seems to have less of a linear gradiation and more of a logarithmic. It seems like a tiny bit on the knob and the eq boost/cut is on like donkey kong. They don't sound bad, and I may just have to adapt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Toptube, gebass6, Duder and 8 others like this.
  2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Definitely looks cool!

bassmutant likes this.
  3. Wow!!!!:woot:

bassmutant likes this.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Congrats on the new axe! I was one mouse click away from ordering one of these myself, before I decided to build my own.

I'm currently building my own 6-string P/J. My string spacing is 17mm at the bridge (The RVS spec is 16.25mm, so very similar). I ordered custom Nordstrand pickups for mine 5 weeks ago. They told me it would take 8 weeks.

That string spacing is tight enough that normal 4-string P pickup shells work. The pickup just needs to be made with the right number and spacing of pole pieces.

Nordstrand can definitely supply what you would want. I emailed back and forth with Nordstrand to sort out the specs and then, at their suggestion, ordered them through BestBassGear.com. To do a custom order, you just have to email BBG. Nordstrand told me that BBG is very experienced at handling custom orders for Nordstrand. And they give better prices than the full retail you would pay ordering directly from Nordstrand.

bassmutant likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you might be noticing 'that effect' more on the B, but i think your OK: if the side dot markers are in the correct place: i think you'll find that it's really the 'right edge' of your finger (the 'bridge side' of your finger) that ends up correctly 'pitching' the note. you'll quickly get used to it.

(i have a fretless (cheapie from china) with a really great feeling neck, but it came to me with the side dots in the proverbial wrong (fretted) position. i 'blacked' them out: and on this bass, i put the new side dots where they are supposed to be, but: ever so slightly moved to accommodate the 'average' width of my four fretting finger tips/pads when pressed to the string. so when i play it visually, i just aim for the 'dot-in-the-center-of-my-finger' position. it's perfect! i don't know that you'd be up for that on a brand new, beautiful (by the way) bass, but if you decide that it's a 'keeper for life' it may be something to consider.)

really nice look! seeing instruments like this makes me want to try a 6.

congrats to you! hope you have fun with your fretless!

(and hey: join the fretless club!)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    bassmutant likes this.
  6. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Kiesel does pretty things with wood!

bassmutant likes this.
  7. Beautiful!!! Enjoy her!!

bassmutant likes this.
  8. How does it sound with the Bridge P?
    Waiting for Roy to make a video of his is like watching grass grow...(sorry, Roy....:D)

9. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    very nice
    congrats

bassmutant likes this.
  10. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Your profile says you're in NoVA. I'm in NoVA. It's not a RVS, but if you want to hear what the bridge P on A dual P sounds like, you're welcome to check out one of my TL-Sixes.

11. The front pickup sound is my favorite, the standard hollow grindy pbass sound.
    The soloed rear pup had that mid/treb focused version of the front, and with the pickups both blended equally, the sound is full and modern pbassy goodness.

I'm going to order a fretted version of this soon, especially considering i can custom order Nordstrands, which i had no clue is previously, despite what the wife may think. ;)

12. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Can you order the bass from Kiesel with Nordstrands? Or are you just saying you can get the bass and then replace the pickups with Nordstrands yourself?

13. The latter, replace them later if warranted.

StuartV likes this.
  14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I LIKE!!!!

15. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

I might not be picturing this correctly, but wouldn't moving the (B) string saddle back (away from the nut) increase scale and make your fingers press even further ahead of your position markers? If you scoot that saddle towards the neck, that should make pressing in any given spot a sharper. Of course, due to scale, you don't want to mess too far from intonating the 12th 'fret' marker and the harmonic. Like another post suggested, you may just have to adjust your playing of the B and maybe E to be slightly ahead of those 5th and 7th position dots so they are in tune further up the string. However, it may be worth checking that you haven't pushed that B saddle so far back that everything is flat now.

16. I think were on the same page, and yes, I wanted to adjust the intonation so I could put my fat fingers exactly where I wanted. I set it up so my finger placement on each string is exactly the same. My main thing is consistency and proper tuning, which is what I got.

17. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Love that bass, interesting choice of colors which works well! Kiesel/Carvin is a great company.

bassmutant likes this.
  18. swspiers

swspiers Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Jacksonville, NC
    Maybe I'm over-reacting, that that is the first bass from the the new crop that I look at and go, "HOLY CRAP!". Truly, that is a stunning bass, If you ever sell her, and you shouldn't no matter how long it takes to get the intonation down, hit me up. Then again, those lose bolts might be a reason to have them fix it...

I have a fretless Bunny Brunnel 6 that took me a while, especially the C string. It's well-worth the effort

bassmutant likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022