1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD. Kiesel content. All the Kings Horses, Especially The Headless Ones...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass6811, May 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I like (sorta')catchy titles...:D

So I had an NBD today. I'm one of those folks who happen to dig headless basses and guitars! I've been a huge Steinberger fan since day 1, I've been a huge Status fan since Mark King, and now I'm a huge Kiesel Custom Guitars fan since pics from NAMM this year. I found a lovely used Vader 5 in the classifieds a few months ago, right after I'd already ordered another one. So today, the one I ordered showed up...

20170511_202935_zpsamzuh1w5.

20170511_202942_zpsow1m15v2.

20170511_203023_zpsly7p7z3o.

It's yer basic, black bass, should go with everything. I went, very, low key on this considering the cornucopia of options that Kiesel offers.

-Ash body
    -Maple neck
    -Ebony board
    -It's Black
    -with black hardware(I LOVE black hardware!)
    -No Inlays
    -Kiesel Radium Humbuckers
    -Active/Passive electronics(the sweepable mid is gold!)
    -I had Dunlop strap locks installed, since all of my straps have Dunlop pins in them...

Now I have two.

20170511_203228_zpsmt3z1fl7.

I'm kind of excited because I think this will really give me a chance to see what difference the woods make. They are, basically, identical except the white one is Alder and the black one is Ash. All the knobs will be in the exact same spot, so it should come down to which wood works wonders-for my gig. We play Friday and Saturday nights this weekend, so, I'll letcha' know.

Oh yeah, here's all the kings horses, including the headless one's...

20170511_220922_zpsouccos39.

Better pics later, if anyone cares and when I can slow down for a sec. I got a KILLA' DSLR, I just haven't had time to dial it in...

peace

edit; can ya' tell which bass I DIDN'T order? LOL!

2. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    The black and white one side by side looks like Darth Vader and a Storm trooper in bass form.

jfh2112, Low84, BrentSimons and 11 others like this.
  3. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yeah, I'm with ya' on that. I thought I read somewhere that the model name did come from Darth Vader. As always, I could be wrong...LOL!

Where are you at in Indiana? I'm in Indianapolis/Plainfield area.

4. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Im 25minutes south of Southbend, out in the country. I lived down in Indy back in the 90's. Westside

pbass6811 likes this.
  5. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Right on. The only good thing about living in Indiana is everything we order from Sweetwater gets here the next day! Except for the last thing I ordered from them, it went from Ft. Wayne, to somewhere in Ohio, then back to me. Even the FedEx lady was like "What the???", LOL!

Rattman and pjbassist like this.
  6. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I go there in person all the time. About an hour road trip, from my house. And yes, that is the only good thing about this state.

pbass6811 likes this.
  7. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    At least you're not in Iowa.

8. Awesome. Looking forward to hear your thoughts about any noticeable differences between the ash and the alder. Nice build. Simple, clean, elegant.

pbass6811 likes this.
  9. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV

At least you're not in West Virginia...... I won!!!

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, lives in a worse state than me.

pjbassist, pbass6811 and Old Blastard like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Been having googly eyes over these for a couple months but there's not really a lot of sound samples available.

pbass6811 likes this.
  11. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    IMG_0372.JPG
    Nice !!
    Actually just received mine as well, although it's a one humbucker affair.
    It holds tune very very well and that royal ebony is quite nice to play on.

12. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    catchy thread title
    Spanking bass
    tidy music room

10/10 everything.

BrentSimons, Pyrat, Herrick and 4 others like this.
  13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I have a Kiesel Aries on order, its kinda optioned up the wazoo, due 2nd week of June, I plan on a review for my TB brothers and sisters since it is a brand new model. All the best with your Vader, if ya gotta go headless, that was the way to go!

14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    These are badass looking. The matte black is just evil.
    What type of strings do they use, double ball end?

Oh, and you may want to paint the white one grey to fit in...

pbass6811 likes this.
  15. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Awesome basses. A Vader is #1 on my gas list ATM. Just sold my Steinberger Spirit so I can have funds ready if one pops up.

pbass6811 likes this.
  16. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Any Dead Spots?
    Any Neck Diving?
    ;)
    [sorry, couldn't help myself] :thumbsup:

17. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Standard strings, my man! The head piece they designed allows the use of any strings. It's a wee bit clunky, but I'm totally cool with it.

I asked Kiesel if they'd refinish it, they said no. I get it, they're super busy painting new stuff.

THAT is super cool! I was gonna ask if it was an Amos Williams model, but I see it has 4 strings and 24 frets. It bet it sounds MASSIVE with the MM-style pup. Congrats!

This is very true. I'm gonna put up some vids, but it may take a bit, we've got a ton of shows coming up and we're gonna be working in a new guitarist and some new material. I will work on it asap...

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Cool bass. :cool:

Congrats, and Enjoy!

pbass6811 likes this.
  19. That's one very nice-looking bass!
    The others are good, too, but suddenly I'm thinking this headless thing could be worth a try.

Pyrat and pbass6811 like this.
  20. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @pbass6811 Nice collection! I dig those Valenti basses too! I'm in Fort Wayne, so I have spent many hours at Sweetwater myself! In fact, I have 3 Warmoth basses that were all assembled/set up by their Master Luthiers.

pbass6811 likes this.