1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Kiesel Vader Short Scale Headless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stellvia, May 11, 2018.

1. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    D0A99C8B-6BE9-4D41-86C6-05C69E413643. Took a while but it finally arrived! Ordered beginning of Feb and arrived this week. Of course I ordered it during the busiest period Kiesel has ever had!

My first Kiesel and my first ‘custom’ build. Have recently decided that I prefer short scale (I have rather small hands) after heavily modding a Squier Bronco that I had lying around and settled on a Vader as an upgrade to a professional instrument. Pretty basic build, the standard alder/maple combination, finished in satin Grape Jelly Metallic (looks great!) and a Birdseye maple fingerboard. Standard black hardware, humbuckers and passive electronics.

Arrived pretty much in tune. Great looking (to me!) and feeling instrument, plays easily and has good range of sounds between the two pickups. Has the stock Dunlop steels on at the moment, but will be putting on a set of GHS pressure wounds very soon.

Overall, I’m really happy with the Vader, it’s a great upgrade from the Bronco and it’s exactly what I was after. Great build quality from Kiesel, even with the slightly longer build time. Customer Service was helpful when I asked for an update.

And some more pics of course!

4B1BE392-DCE0-4984-8092-9D3DA4E5EA5F.
    D7EBEDF3-D971-4CAC-8BE2-037B3A977233.
    2E061011-3139-49BC-B7D3-7E181A6F9AAC.
    84EA836A-AC07-4B97-AB7D-8996196A96FC.

2. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    That's one beautiful bass, right there!

I would love one of those. I bet it weighs next to nothing and sounds like it could bring walls down....

Are the humbuckers quite dark sounding? Like, as in very little top end, or are they quite bright as far as humbuckers go?

Stellvia likes this.
  3. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Looks great! Congrats!

Stellvia likes this.
  4. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Thanks! I’m really happy with it so far! It’s a good weight, light but feels solid and substantial. Super compact too (shorter than a standard electric guitar)! Heaps of bass response!!!

No lack of top end on the humbuckers and I’m actually rolling off quite a bit on my tube pre and amp.

I really like the form factor, super compact but sounds like a much bigger instrument!

5. basstechie

basstechie

May 6, 2013
    Virginia
    Awesome! Great looking fretboard!

Stellvia likes this.
  6. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Thanks! Have been wanting a Birdseye maple fretboard for a while and I’m really happy with the one I got!

7. Looks super! I love the color. I like too (just a personal opinion) that its just a normal looking body and doesnt have the beveling with all of the different color woods that so many new bass models seem to be moving toward.

And that neck looks awesome too! I remember the excitement of my first Carvin, a TL-60 guitar. That "vanilla" smell as I opened the case...awesome! I'm up to five Carvins now.

Enjoy! They are killers!

BnB

BassmanM and Stellvia like this.
  8. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    That's awesome!!!!

I have that same vacuum!!!!!:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, the bass is pretty cool too! ;):roflmao:

9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    sweet!

Stellvia likes this.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That sucks!

mikewalker, JRA and 2tonic like this.
  11. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Tried some different strings today. Had a set of Chromed lying around, which sounded good but I wanted a bit more treble bite. Put on a new set of GHS Pressurwounds (my fav string) and am a happy man! Enough top end for me without being too bright.

Changing the strings was a breeze, apart from some struggles with a weak pair of side cutters that weren’t quite up to cutting through the thicker strings. The headless setup certainly makes it quick to change our strings!

Really enjoying playing the Vader, getting it dialed in with my rig and enjoying what it’s putting out! The bridge pickup is a nice thick sound which I haven’t had before, defined useable in its own right!

12. I really want to try one of these basses. If it has the tone I am after I would get one. The problem is there s no where near by me to try one out.

Stellvia likes this.
  13. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    I hear you, I listened to every demo I could and took a gamble that I would like it! I’m pretty darn happy with how it sounds so it worked out for me! I’ve never seen a Kiesel/Carvin in person before and only heard about them a year or two ago through Talkbass.

svlilioukalani likes this.
  14. I never know if I like the tone of a bass until I get it home for a few days.

Stellvia likes this.
  15. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    love it! nice choices!

Stellvia likes this.
  16. Nesch

Nesch

Jul 20, 2014
    This looks so good! I love that purple...I ordered a Vader myself in the beginning of April...Jet black, raw tone finish. 6 string fretless ;) I'm so anxious to play it! I love the fingerboard on yours.

Stellvia likes this.
  17. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Hope you get yours soon! Really enjoying the size and shape of the Vader, the short scale version is so compact! What fingerboard/lined or unlined? Raw tone should be sweet!

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

love the look! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Stellvia likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That is a long trek for a Kiesel.

Stellvia likes this.
  20. Nesch

Nesch

Jul 20, 2014
    Mine will be unlined, on a royal ebony fretboard...Should be here around mid June, the wait is almost over! (kinda) :roflmao:

Stellvia likes this.