1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Kiesel Vanquish multiscale 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlassToMouth, Apr 29, 2017.

1. I'm over the moon with this bass. While tone is subjective, I think it sounds amazing. Whether I want tight, modern punch, or round, growly warmth, or staccato 16th note finger funk, this beauty is up to the task. Very versatile and musical EQ.

Edit 1: Headphone tone and playability are spectacular. Super comfortable and low action. My only (super minor) gripe so far is that the string feeds are black when I ordered gold hardware. The fit, finish, feel, mojo, tone, and sex appeal are all top notch. The light weight is heavenly! No scale yet, but guessing between 8-8.5 lbs.

I'm somewhat confused that the gold color of the 2 sets of stacked knobs perfectly matching the gold hardware, but the volume and blend knobs are a bit lighter shade of gold. Much more of a chrome/gold complexion.

Edit 2:
    Also, the location of the stacked mids and stacked bass/treble are reversed from the other 4 knob, 2 stacked, 3 band EQ I've installed in my other active basses. The bass/treble knob is closest to the output jack as opposed to the mid controls

IMG_20170429_164434_zpsbmqdvtta.

IMG_0210_zpsxbw0a7te.

IMG_0219_zpscdycgt8l.

IMG_0186_zpsmxrtvjyf.

IMG_20170429_121048008_zpsixzicrgo.

IMG_20170429_183918_390_zps5o5drj9n.

IMG_20170429_183918_387_zpswbmqiwqf.

IMG_20170429_232404584_zpsypjpvwac.

IMG_0183_zpshrqpytk9.

IMG_0190_zpsaockhhgc.

IMG_0203_zps26fqghvl.

IMG_0213_zpsqcqhibh8.

IMG_0216_zpsbknwsnve.

IMG_0214_zpsa0yz1usb.

IMG_20170430_235853377_zpsm6hangcu.

IMG_20170429_163937_zpsmplmrms4.

IMG_0209_zpsapmnqiwi.

VM49K
    Right Handed

About a week after ordering, I started second guessing myself and wanted to add some more options, so I did. I opted for the deep natural body binding, trans black over the antique ash, and trans black burst over the deep black flame maple top.

ASH - Maple Neck/Swamp Ash Body
    -CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
    FDK - Deep Black Flame
    AAT - Antique Ash Treatment (Must Order Swamp Ash Body)
    CMB - Chambered Body (Must Order Optional Top Wood)
    5WP - 5-Piece Walnut Neck w/ 2 Purple Heart Stripes
    -TN - Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck (Standard)
    -IPH - Icon-Style Bass Headstock (Standard)
    FPH - Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Finish
    ZWF - Zebrawood Fingerboard
    NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
    EVO - Gold Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
    -R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
    -BLK - Black Pickups
    G - Gold Hardware
    -D45 - Dunlop Med-Heavy Super Bright Nickel Roundwound .045 - .105
    GL - Gold Metallic Logo
    SL - Dunlop Straplocks
    BPP - Purpleheart Rear Electronics Cavity Cover
    HC8W - Black Tolex Wide Hardshell Bass Case

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nice! I want to try one of these for sure! What's the weight on it?

To answer your concerns..

Saddles generally are not gold, they are black. The plating would fall off in the first week and would look terrible.

The knobs are different shades of gold simply because they probably have different sources where they buy big knobs and small knobs.

Even a $5000+ Fodera has black saddles on their gold bridges.

hz7nkgj5cnyyt4tqejds.

BassFace13 and GlassToMouth like this.
  3. Perhaps I worded it incorrectly. The string feeds/ferrules on the back of the instrument are what I speak of. I have seen them on Kiesel/Carvin instruments before. A few visual examples are what helped to inspire me.

15723_14352338_709822410045_6312289235099542795_o_1_zpsml1ghwyt.

I'm not upset. The fit, finish, accuracy, craftsmanship, wow factor, etc are all amazing. I don't mean to nitpick, but I do... because I do ;)

The weight on it is perfect or better. No scale yet, but I estimate between 8-8.5 lbs. Lightest I've ever owned. My imperfect arm test says it's a lb or more less than my much smaller bodied Brubaker Brute with a nato body. Zero neck dive too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Ahhh I see, I saw those black saddles on gold bridges and thought that's what you meant :)

GlassToMouth likes this.
  5. Gorgeous bass! If it's any consolation, those black ferrules look good against the dark wood grain.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Yeah dark ferrules ftw on that thing

GlassToMouth likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Heck, if I owned that bass I would rarely look at the back. The front is gorgeous. :D

GlassToMouth and jaysbass2002 like this.
  8. I feel the same way about the back. I'm not upset at all, I just feel I should let Kiesel know what someone ordering should expect. I adore every inch of this beauty. I truly appreciate everyone's kind words.

9. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Wow !! That's a real eye-popper ! Very nice.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  10. And the standard Luminlay side dots are a nice touch.

IMG_20170430_132917_zpsbxxhg8na.

LowDownHawkeye likes this.
  11. Kiesel had some very public issues getting the string ferrules just right. To their credit they didn't push something out that would cause issues when restringing the instrument. I think in an effort to not delay release of these instruments they used the black ferrules, with the correct dimensions.

I would bet sometime down the road, if this model is successful, the gold ferrules in the proper dimensions will be available. These were custom machined specifically for this bass.

Jakedog and GlassToMouth like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is it 35.5-34" like Ibanez, or 37-34" like Dingwall? I would be more interested in a 37" B, but either way, your bass is a beauty.

Your bass is a four, so neither set of numbers may apply to you, but I think you know what I mean.

13. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    My exact question also!
    Stunning.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Gold logo lol well picked :) Super nice, loving the zebrawood fretboard. I'm actually waiting for a Vader Bass in the 2 weeks or so. And I just saw the new Aries which looks pretty cool as well... :yawn:

GlassToMouth likes this.
  15. 5 strings are 34"-36", 4 strings are 34"-35.5".

Yes, my estimated date was 11 weeks, took 16. However, they were very transparent and honest about every delay. That is a way to maintain my business. Always quick to answer over the phone or email. Already plotting my next build. Again, thanks for the compliments ladies and gentlemen. The tung oil walnut neck is my favorite I've ever played. Might have to buy a bathroom scale today to know the actual weight.

BlueMINI likes this.
  16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I'd love to see a roundup of the "production" fanned fret basses that are available now.

Dingwall Combustion, Kiesel, there's a new Schecter Studio, ESP, Ibanez, you could include the RondoMusic.com Brice/ Agile basses but everybody that I've read about buying those has upgraded a variety of parts on them.

Das Jugghead and GlassToMouth like this.
  17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio

18. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I am a Carvin guy. STUNNING!!!!

five7 and GlassToMouth like this.
  19. :rage:

Great. I knew it would happen. As soon as these started rolling of the CNC press, people have been having NBD threads, fueling my GAS even more.

That is a life-long keeper you got there, but you know that.

20. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Very nice! I came very close to getting a 5 string, but I already have two. I asked if they were going to produce a 6 (which is what I wanted) and was told it was not going to happen. I ended up with a Carvin LB76W. All I can say is that it is an amazingly well built bass; about 12 years old and still looks like new. Good with it!

GlassToMouth likes this.