1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Kiesel Vanquish multiscale 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlassToMouth, Apr 29, 2017.


  1. jaysbass2002

    jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

    Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    How much did the build cost??
     
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  2. I went heavy on options. This build was about $2800 total with hardshell case and shipping. I'm sure I'd still be quite happy if I had one in the $1600 range.
     
    jaysbass2002 likes this.
  3. Mystic Michael

    Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

    Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A semi-side issue but...

    @GlassToMouth

    How easy or difficult is it to play the fanned fretboard? Any major adjustments to your technique that you've had to make in order to articulate the notes cleanly? Is the 36" scale "E" string noticeably tighter-sounding than a 34" scale "E" string?

    MM
     
  4. Omega Monkey

    Omega Monkey

    Mar 8, 2015
    I may have to splurge on a 5 or 6 string in the not too distant future. Need to try one for a bit to make sure I like the fanned frets. I've always liked Carvin stuff though. I miss my AE 185-12 (Tele Thinline style acoustic electric 12 string with 2 splittable humbuckers and a piezo, with a walnut top and matte finish before everyone else started doing matte finishes).
     
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  5. I feel 95% adjusted to the fanned frets after about a half hour or so. The other 5% of that is my occasional mistake on chords above the 17th fret or so. The E on the 4 string is 35.5" (technically on the 5 string too) while the low B on the fiver is 36". I also used to jump back and forth between 34" and 35" scale basses without a problem. Plus, a lot of that extra scale length is occupied at the bridge.

    Edit: The stock Kalium strings are perfectly balanced, but the tension is a bit lighter than I'm used to. Fretting hand likes that, plucking hand doesn't. I usually enjoy Elixirs and have an extra long scale set on order. The 'coated string for multiscale basses' is a rather slim market. I imagine this will improve as all these wonderful companies continue to roll out more multiscale basses.
     
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    jaysbass2002 likes this.
  6. Maureen M

    Maureen M

    Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    Beautiful bass, congratulations!
     
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  7. More pics added to original post.
     
    Maureen M likes this.
  8. pbass6811

    pbass6811 Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I've not played a Kiesel Vanquish fanned fret(I'm actually playing Kiesel Vaders right now), but I did play Dingwalls for a while. It took all of 37 seconds to make the adjustment. It's actually a pretty natural feel. The only issue is the one that GlassToMouth mentioned and that is upper fret comping. Chords on a fanned fret bass will take some practice and patience. It's just not as natural as simply playing bass, LOL!

    They've said it's not in the works and no plans for one, but I'm REEAALLY hoping for a fanned fret Vader bass. I'm still considering a VM59K, but a VB5*M* would be MY JAM! That'd be a lil' slice of heaven...;)

    Back on topic: G2M, that bass looks AH-MAZING! I hope they got some pics and will use that in the VM49K gallery!
     
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  9. MojoPenguin

    MojoPenguin

    Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Very easy honestly. To me it's about the same as going from a shortscale to a longscale, honestly it's no big deal.
     
  10. Updated pics and info for those interested.
     
    Pyrat likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.