1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD... kinda

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddododo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Finally 'finished' a prolonged, difficult, irritating and satisfying project. something of a franken-warmoth, though I don't like the connotation of such a term, this fretless has taken me almost 2 years to complete.

i0000010_2.
    i0000010_3.

2. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    fretless (1200x587).

==Warmoth B.E. maple neck, with a pau ferro board
    ==problematic Ebay company body, mahogany with a cocobolo top
    ==Nordstrand 70's wound J pickups

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Like it! Headstock especially.

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Beautiful.

5. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Thats nice.

6. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Thanks fellas!
    It badly needs a string retainer, and I should really go a little further with shielding than I did, but those temporary issues aside, this thing REALLLLY sounds good. I'm one of those guys who is easily (readily?) disappointed with new gear, but it really nails some of the idiomatic fretless sounds in a unique way; no cheesiness, no brittle sound.

I feel like the nylonwound strings add a lot of clean depth to the sound, because of the soft 'play' in tension they have.

I am seriously pumped up

7. That's a real beaut! Worth the wait, I'm sure. Congrats! Are those Rotosound TruBass?

8. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Fender 7120s.. Found at a pawn shop, oddly enough

9. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    soundclips tonight !

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks cool. Got me thinkin' about some non-steel strings for my Indo-Jazz for more wooden tones.

11. I really like the wooden control plate/knobs. It ties in with the rest of the bass nicely. Well done. PM me, and I'll give you the address I want you to ship it to. Thanks.

12. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    That is sweet! I dig the headstock and all black hardware. One of my favorite J looks!

13. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    I haven't tried many yet, but in the short time iv'e used these now I am flipping out about them. The feel takes some getting used to, but it's more of a 'different approach' rather than 'live with it'; I am already pretty quick on them. The clear depth, though, is whatss shining... they have this bottomless kind of sound

Haha, I think this is one of those even-if-it-falls-apart kind of keepers, based on the work put in (and the mistakes I made while doing it ;) )

Yeah... something about the classic J headstock just looked... silly when I was mocking it up. The tele head looked sleeker to me, and it later allowed me to use the lefty-reverse setup so that I could tune without reaching up.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I guess I should REAALLLY give a shoutout to my dad- I could not have done this without his talents, commitment, and avid interest in my projects. I've got the parents that every musician wished they had

P.S. I don't have soundclips yet... woops