1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD -Kingman....results after visit to Luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gintaras, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Picked up a Fender Kingman from Talkbass member last month and liked it but knew that a visit to my favorite guitar tech was necessary.

The results where really a great improvement and the sound has been improved.

First thing was getting a set of TI Acousticore's. I have used them before and after 3 ABG's and 5 different sets of strings, these are my favorite. Low tension and easy to use.

Besides the string install the fret board radius was measured and the saddle was cut to match and also slightly lowered. Made the action just right for my tastes.

The last part of the project was to replace the plastic nut. The acousticore's are smaller gauge and fit sloppy in the original nut. He cut a new one from cow bone and the fit was perfect. The other results were better tone and what seems like an increase in volume.

I was happy with the improvement in the tone and playibilty as an acoustic instrument. The improvement and tone was even more noticable when I got home and plugged it into my rig. (GK MB200 and Schroeder 15L) Need to try my Bergantino HT110 this weekend with this bass.

This is my third ABG and after the visit is by far my favorite. Previous were a Michael Kelly and Epiphone El Capitan.

Considering replacing the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites. The bass has neck dive and this will decrease the weight by a 1/2 a pound.

PC110029.

2. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Pics?

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I'll take some tonite and post them.

4. PCK4514

PCK4514

Jun 7, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I recently bought a Fender Kingman ABG. I love the way it plays. I'm about to change the strings out on it and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm some what new to playing and wanted to try a different sound.

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Read the first post. It is all about the strings and sound. I was on my 3rd ABG and wanted to improve on what was there. The Acousticore's are $60 but I thought they were worth it.