1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Klira Violin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Here are some shots of my recently-acquired Klira violin bass. I bought it in sad shape...strung with guitar strings, missing adjustment screws for the bridge pickup, neck unglued and held in by a big ugly woodscrew, about half an inch of neck relief...all minor stuff but had to be fixed.

IMO she's a real beauty. Plays great, sounds wonderful. Lots of nice detailing in the finish and craftsmanship. One weird thing is that the pickups are wired with tiny coaxial cables...that was a lesson in splicing. Def a nice addition to my collection and a player, too.

In Progress

Electronics

Binding Detail

Neck Pickup

Switchgear

All electrics removed, plus shop assistant

Flame Back

Tailpiece

Headstock

Full Shot

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice Save!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  3. A really nice Twen Star 162. Enjoy.

TD

godofthunder59 and ThuzzleFump like this.
  4. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I do consider this a find. Despite all the little problems, quite clean and I love the sound and playability.

5. Congratulations. Getting a Klira 356 violin bass was a revelation to me, after owning Hofners for 47 years. I really like your headstock - much nicer than mine. I agree with you about the sound and the playability; I wish I had one decades ago. Best of luck with yours. It's wonderful that you were able to restore it and get it back into action. Aren't the tiny plug going to the controls a hoot?

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I love Kliras ! My first bass was a Klira my folks bought it for me in 71, I still have it. I have also aquieredo three more over the years. These are great basses and they are every bit as good as Hofner imho maybe even a little bit better. Here is my first one.

Attached Files:

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  7. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Really cool, great job!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  8. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I have never played a Hofner, but I sure like this one. Yeah, those tiny plugs are hysterical. One of those things that's actually really smart, although the tiny cables are tough to splice if you need to. Anyway, the more I learn, the more I feel like I really lucked into this one.

9. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Looking good and still have the OG hardware. I use mine all the time, one of the thumpiest, acoustic sounding units out there.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021