1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: LAKLAND and I am NOT Happy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroims, May 28, 2011.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    This week I got my Lakland 44-60 after 4-5 months of waiting, I ordered this bass from Sweetwater and not complains about it, great customer services, they told me that I should wait till July since I was ordering a custom one: 44-60, Inca Silver, matching headstock, neck blinding and pearl blocks, I also asked for Chi-Sonic pickups. Well, bass arrive sooner than expected, great color, smoking neck, couple of micro flaws in the finish by the neck pocket, I was not expecting this but nothing to worry about, overall great bass, the problem started when I plugged it in, there is an incredible buzz coming from the neck pickup, I used my Alesys SR18 since I did not have any amp, buzz happens when I touch the case, I called Leo and he told me to send the bass to them so they can take a look, great customer service as expected, today I got my new Streamliner :hyper: I immediatly hooked the Lakland up and I noticed a lot buzz , I tried everything that came to my mind, use both pickups, roll of the tone, cut highs, boost bass, etc. After 10 minutes I turned off the amp thinking how noisy the amp was, then I though that maybe the bass was the issue and not the amp, I plugged my Fender P and wow , now the only noise I can hear are the notes that I am playing :bag: , now I am sure that the 44-60 will be packed today and will be on its way to Chicago next Tuesday for a check up. Thanks God that Lakland customer service is top notch but still, me no comprende how they did not detect this issue, as far as I know the chi-sonic were connected in Chicago facility for the same people that made the Lakland USA, I wonder if somebody tested the bass once the work was done or they just assumed that everything was fine, I love Lakland , this is my 12th Lakland bass, but this experience made me think if Lakland is moving in a different direction respecting QC, this is not a $ 100 USD bass made by teenagers in ktulu , I could buy 5 squiers for the price I paid for this bass and I am quite confident that they will be flawless however I still have faith in Lakland and I know I will get a great bass once they take a look... lets wait and see what happens.

2. Someimes things happen. I would call it an anomaly.

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Agree, I still trust in Lakland and I will buy their gear always, as I stated in my post, I am sure they will make it right, I just not happy by spending more money on a brand new bass, I could use this money and buy a hard case or gig bag instead of giving it to fedex

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pedroims, if Lakland fixes everything, what's the problem? Heck, I'm sure Fodera and Sadowsky have stuff returned for repair sometimes too.:)

5. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Sounds like a faulty ground somewhere. Could just be a bad solder/came loose during shipping. I hope they are able to fix it promptly for ya.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If the bass is defective, then either Sweetwater or Lakland should cover shipping.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    The pain of shipping the bass at my cost and the lack of QC from Lakland, there is not way that nobody would not notice this, unless of course, if you put the pickup and pack the bass without checking if it was working properly or not, this is basic QC, they dont put chi-sonic in 1000's basses per day so we can call it an exepction, I can see micro flaws on the finish but I can see also how somebody can miss them , also those flaws does not affect the playability so I dont need them to '' fix'' this, but a bass where hum or buzz is almost as louder than a played note is a different story.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    You have to ship the bass on YOUR dime?

To me, that's ridiculous. I know Lakland makes great stuff, but at the price they ask, this should never be an issue IMO.

Obviously ANY company/maker can let a lemon out now and then, but it should be 100% on them to make it right.

This is why I've come to never buy an instrument I can't play first.

9. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    I would ask them to fix the paint flaws too while they have it. A new custom bass should not have any visible paint defects, imo.

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Maybe something happened in shipping (if it is a lose wire etc).....MAYBE.

as for shipping, I would ask Sweetwater or Lakland to cover all or part of it....They WILL make it right....

I just was there today (really there to see Carl Pedigo but he gave me the nickle tour of the new shop)....the place was LOADED with new Skylines etc!

the new shop is MUCH nicer and more "user friendly" than the old shop.....

11. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    That would be a big problem for me. I wouldn't expect any flaw from those high $$$ brands because exceptional build quality is the primary reason why I would pay such big money for them.

Considering what OP says, the flaw comes with the Lakland bass definitely shows how lack of QC it was during the build process. I would still be skeptical for everything about the bass for any possible invisible flaws that could torture me in the future. If that happens, I would only choose either a full-refund or another new build unless the flaw is extremely minor. However, neither of them will make me totally happy because there is no way for my time for the wait to be compensated. Also, I can't believe that OP has to pay for the shipping. Both Sweetwater and Lakland are already being ridiculous at this point.

Even if they offer full refund, I'm sure it's not that easy to stay cool and happy for many people who paid a high dollar deposit with a long wait just like a happy kid waiting for a good Christmas gift. I understand that anyone can commit mistakes sometimes but that's something what high end bass builders seriously need to avoid.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey, I see your point.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've owned 3 USA Lakland in the past.
    Great customer service.
    I can't believe they let a USA bass go, with a paint flaw.
    Call them, they should pay for shipping.

14. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    +1. Sounds like a grounding issue. Sucks, but unfortunately it does sometimes happen.

15. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    I've had the same thing happen with a Skyline. Haven't been real satisfied with other Skylines I've owned either. No more Lakies for me(well, maybe a US model).

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Exactly.

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It's not a USA bass.

18. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    this is not a USA model, its the skyline that they call custom because the extra features, however the pickups were installed in the Chicago facility, when I talked with Leo he told me he remember the bass, there are not many of those made.

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    pedroims, i hope this gets sorted out for you man. everyone always acts like this isn't a big deal, but you ordered a new bass in perfect working condition and it was faulty.

A partial refund should be given IMO.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My bad.
    Good luck with bass.